Sign in to follow this  
25-06

Fires and how soon

What's your opinion on this year's hunt in a unit that just burned? How soon will the deer be back in there? 

3 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

What's your opinion on this year's hunt in a unit that just burned? How soon will the deer be back in there? 

Just hoping the the 22 deer ran west into 21.

• Like 1

If we get a good monsoon and it greens up, they’ll be back in it this year

• Like 5

If your hunting where I think you are then you’ll be good. If your hunting elsewhere in the unit I’d look for meadows where the grass grew thick and has any sign of green shrubs or trees around it.

9 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

If your hunting where I think you are then you’ll be good. If your hunting elsewhere in the unit I’d look for meadows where the grass grew thick and has any sign of green shrubs or trees around it.

I'll likely be hunting where I always hunt. But the fire is getting really close to it.  

Just my opinion.  Deer will be back this year, 2-3 years it will be better than it was.  I am wondering about the sheep in that area?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

I'll likely be hunting where I always hunt. But the fire is getting really close to it.  

Lord if they stop it by the time it gets there!?! There’s no hope for 2020!

40 minutes ago, pwrguy said:

Just my opinion.  Deer will be back this year, 2-3 years it will be better than it was.  I am wondering about the sheep in that area?

At the beginning of the fire g&f said the sheep will be fine. Not sure if that still the case. 

Does a new burn get progressively better each year? If so when does it reach its peak?  I read about 5 to 7 years for burns when it came to elk. I'm more curious about the kaibab fire and when it will peak for Deer or if it's gonna be good every year.  

First hand I have seen deer and elk back while it was still smoldering. Also the same year of a big fire I’ve seen them back in burned areas. Remember even though it looks really bad there are always patches of habitat or mosaic type burns. Pretty interesting to follow tracks in ashes for hundreds of yards and watching deer munch on little green patches in the middle of ash. 

41 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

First hand I have seen deer and elk back while it was still smoldering. Also the same year of a big fire I’ve seen them back in burned areas. Remember even though it looks really bad there are always patches of habitat or mosaic type burns. Pretty interesting to follow tracks in ashes for hundreds of yards and watching deer munch on little green patches in the middle of ash. 

Thanks, this is what I'm hoping for. 

Looks like Monsoon action starting Thurs. in White mtms...............BOB!