Sign in to follow this  
25-06

Fires and how soon

4 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

First hand I have seen deer and elk back while it was still smoldering. Also the same year of a big fire I’ve seen them back in burned areas. Remember even though it looks really bad there are always patches of habitat or mosaic type burns. Pretty interesting to follow tracks in ashes for hundreds of yards and watching deer munch on little green patches in the middle of ash. 

Had a bull tag in 27 right after the Wallow fire...elk and deer all over the usual places. Maybe not a good comparison since they dropped a bunch of barley in there to help. 

wonder how many of the 2500ish folks who drew 33 tags have watched their planned areas go up in smoke. Hopefully some good monsoon action makes for a good hunt. 

Someone mentioned the sheep...local news has been running a few pics of them sighted below the fire in several places. Hopefully most of them got out of the way. 

21 hours ago, pwrguy said:

Just my opinion.  Deer will be back this year, 2-3 years it will be better than it was.  I am wondering about the sheep in that area?

5 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

First hand I have seen deer and elk back while it was still smoldering. Also the same year of a big fire I’ve seen them back in burned areas. Remember even though it looks really bad there are always patches of habitat or mosaic type burns. Pretty interesting to follow tracks in ashes for hundreds of yards and watching deer munch on little green patches in the middle of ash. 

Both correct.  I've spent a great deal of time working on fires, both as a firefighter and resource advisor.  I've seen all wildlife (deer, elk, bear, turkeys, etc.) back in the burn perimeter before the fire is contained.  A typical western fire burns with about 10-ish percent high-severity damage, 30-40% moderate-severity, and the majority is low-severity/unburned.  Mosaics are the natural process of a typical western wildfire.  Its also very important to differentiate between flame intensity and burn severity.  They are not correlated.  I've seen plenty of low-instensity flames create high-severity effects because the flames are moving so slow.  They sit and burn everything deep into the mineral soil.  I've seen high-intensity flames move so fast that there is barely any damage to any vegetation.  Of course,these aren't all typical, but they are burning fairly close to a typical fire behavior.  A light, steady rain is best to keep erosion minimal, and that will help the green up and keep the deer in there longer.

25-06, I have an inside scoop if you're referring to the Bighorn Fire and you're hunting area.  I might be able to get you some info on burn areas if you PM me where you are looking.  No promises, to be clear, but I'll see what I can drum up.  And, rest assured, you're honey holes are safe with me.  I don't roll like that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IA Born said:

25-06, I have an inside scoop if you're referring to the Bighorn Fire and you're hunting area.  I might be able to get you some info on burn areas if you PM me where you are looking.  No promises, to be clear, but I'll see what I can drum up.  And, rest assured, you're honey holes are safe with me.  I don't roll like that.

Thank you.  I'm sending you a PM. 

• Like 1

Drove up the beeline yesterday and Mt Ord is moonscaped !! Looks like a heavy rain could cause major problems on the north west side of the beeline with the drainage.. I think there is going to be  bad flooding issues both there and the 188 !!!  Don't know if that chaparral will ever grow back !!  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, 25-06 said:

Thank you.  I'm sending you a PM. 

I heard they stopped it at the main road. With this rain going on you should be good bud. Unless lightning strikes and ruins it. But I’m optimistic.