Sign in to follow this  
northAZarcher

New rifle build question

So I'm getting ready to have a rifle built. This will be my first so I'm pretty excited. Just wanted to ask those of you who have been through the process on anything that I might need that I am not thinking of.

Have my proof barrel, McMillan stock, tikka complete action, muzzle brake.  Anything else I might need that I don't have listed?

Yep. Eric and his crew @AxisWorks LLC

They do great work. They just finished the rebuild of my Weatherby Vanguard. 

20200618_171713.jpg

10 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Good trigger

I was going to try the spring replacement on the Tikka and see how that goes. Read a lot of good things about it.

Not a lot of aftermarket options with Tikkas that aren't crazy expensive. Like 450 dollars expensive. Timney only makes a 2 stage for it.  Not really sure I would care for one on my hunting rifle?

• Like 1

Learn how to reload if you don’t already, this will help tremendously!  

The Yo Dave spring kit for Tikka work very well, you can get down to 1.5#s, and pretty crisp.

Pretty much everthing you will need:

Action, barrel, brake, stock, trigger, bottom metal, mag or internal mag box & follower w. spring, rail/rings or one piece rings, scope, anti-cant device (level), caps, throw lever.

Some items that people can forget to budget for are:

Bedding stock, truing action, Cerakote, timing barrel & brake, contouring brake to barrel diameter (I prefer a brake to blend with barrel contour), dies, shellholders, caliber specific inserts for your comparator, reloading components (new brass, bullets, primers, powder).

Axisworks has built me 6 rifles now.  If the first one or two were not amazing, no way would I have gone back for 4 more.  I have shot more than 30 other Axisworks rifles.  All amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, northAZarcher said:

I was going to try the spring replacement on the Tikka and see how that goes. Read a lot of good things about it.

Not a lot of aftermarket options with Tikkas that aren't crazy expensive. Like 450 dollars expensive. Timney only makes a 2 stage for it.  Not really sure I would care for one on my hunting rifle?

I bought a Weatherby not knowing it had a 2 Stage trigger. Sold it soon after.

2 hours ago, Vowell said:

Learn how to reload if you don’t already, this will help tremendously!  

IA born on here taught me how to reload so I'm good on that aspect.  Have my brass, powder and bullets and primers. Just need to buy my dies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

The Yo Dave spring kit for Tikka work very well, you can get down to 1.5#s, and pretty crisp.

Pretty much everthing you will need:

Action, barrel, brake, stock, trigger, bottom metal, mag or internal mag box & follower w. spring, rail/rings or one piece rings, scope, anti-cant device (level), caps, throw lever.

Some items that people can forget to budget for are:

Bedding stock, truing action, Cerakote, timing barrel & brake, contouring brake to barrel diameter (I prefer a brake to blend with barrel contour), dies, shellholders, caliber specific inserts for your comparator, reloading components (new brass, bullets, primers, powder).

Axisworks has built me 6 rifles now.  If the first one or two were not amazing, no way would I have gone back for 4 more.  I have shot more than 30 other Axisworks rifles.  All amazing.

Thx for all the info!  

Do you have any experience with Owens armory out of Chino valley? I was looking at them along with phoenix custom and axis works.

1 hour ago, northAZarcher said:

Thx for all the info!  

Do you have any experience with Owens armory out of Chino valley? I was looking at them along with phoenix custom and axis works.

Lance is my go-to for what stumps me with reloading.  I've heard nothing but good about Owens Armory, but you can also talk to Seth Staples with Rim Country Rifles.  He's in Parks and he does great work.  I can get you in touch with him if you want.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IA Born said:

Lance is my go-to for what stumps me with reloading.  I've heard nothing but good about Owens Armory, but you can also talk to Seth Staples with Rim Country Rifles.  He's in Parks and he does great work.  I can get you in touch with him if you want.

Think I found a listing for him. I can call him to before I make my decision.  Thx amigo.  

Jard makes an amazing trigger for the Tikka if the spring kit doesn't fit your fancy.