Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

.243 for mulies?

Okay so I have used a .234 with standard lead bullets for mule deer before and they were put down quickly at shots from 200 yards

However I see that shots out in the kiabab and the deer are much bigger caliber than down here in the valley. I have only shot fork and horns. Will a .243 work with shots up to 250 or 300 yards work? I also want to use the "non-lead" bullets due to the concerns up north with lead. Any bullet preference for .243? Or should I save 500ish and buy a new gun and scope? Thank you!

• Like 1

I would never discourage someone from buying a new rifle, and a bigger caliber wouldn’t hurt.  But .243s have killed a lot of deer and a fair number of elk at closer ranges.  I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for that hunt if you shoot it well. 

• Like 1

Yes the .243 will be just fine all day long with a good vital shot! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vowell said:

Yes the .243 will be just fine all day long with a good vital shot! 

Awesome! Does lead do more damage to the animal due to how soft the metal is? Or can a nonlead bullet be more fatal or the same result?

25 minutes ago, AZ Wildcat said:

I would never discourage someone from buying a new rifle, and a bigger caliber wouldn’t hurt.  But .243s have killed a lot of deer and a fair number of elk at closer ranges.  I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for that hunt if you shoot it well. 

Gotcha! Thank you! I got tons of time for practice!

• Like 1

You will get better expansions with lead but the solid copper can and will get better penetration. Lead from my experience can separate into lots of small pieces where the copper tends to stay together and also stay together in bigger pieces if it comes apart. The problem is will the solid copper Projectile expand? It all depends on speed, what it hits, an bullet selection. Lots of members on here can give you some more good advice, I’ve seen the solid copper Barnes bullets expand and preform well. 
They want less lead on the Kiabab to help with the recovery of the condors. As a conservationist I would refer to use lead free but it’s a personal choice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vowell said:

You will get better expansions with lead but the solid copper can and will get better penetration. Lead from my experience can separate into lots of small pieces where the copper tends to stay together and also stay together in bigger pieces if it comes apart. The problem is will the solid copper Projectile expand? It all depends on speed, what it hits, an bullet selection. Lots of members on here can give you some more good advice, I’ve seen the solid copper Barnes bullets expand and preform well. 
They want less lead on the Kiabab to help with the recovery of the condors. As a conservationist I would refer to use lead free but it’s a personal choice. 

I might use a heavier bullet for the punch. Something like 95 grain. And yes I really wanna use nonlead due to the condors up there!

• Like 2

Took several youth up for Kiabab hunts.  Copper performed well out to 200 yards.  Kept shots close due to less experienced shooters.  Used leftover copper on reservation hunts in subsequent years.  Lot's of dead deer no extended tracking or lost deer. All found within 40 yards.  Keep in mind this is in the hands of inexperienced hunters.  Shots were good, but not perfect.  

In competent hands, good shot placement, .243 with copper will absolutely do the job nicely.  Shop early or online as Cabela's is prone to run out.

With the all copper bullets lighter is better. Try the 80 gr. TTSX.

• Like 1

Copper works fine if you keep to the distances where you retain the proper velocity on target as required.  I prefer coppers to be moving 2000fps on target to open better.  

If your .243 is a 1:10" twist, you will need to shoot lighter bullets to stabilize them.  I know you are 19, do you reload yet?  If not, the Barnes LRX are a good way to go.  If you do reload, the Hammer Hunters seem to really work well, and are very accurate.

Just know this.  Shot opportunities up on the Kaibab can be longer than expected.  I would be prepared, and that means lots of practice, for shots out to 500+ for the best chances at big bucks.  Sure, you could have a 50 yard shot, but sure is nice to be confident and accurate out at longer ranges.  Don't take shots you are not comfortable with.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Copper works fine if you keep to the distances where you retain the proper velocity on target as required.  I prefer coppers to be moving 2000fps on target to open better.  

If your .243 is a 1:10" twist, you will need to shoot lighter bullets to stabilize them.  I know you are 19, do you reload yet?  If not, the Barnes LRX are a good way to go.  If you do reload, the Hammer Hunters seem to really work well, and are very accurate.

Just know this.  Shot opportunities up on the Kaibab can be longer than expected.  I would be prepared, and that means lots of practice, for shots out to 500+ for the best chances at big bucks.  Sure, you could have a 50 yard shot, but sure is nice to be confident and accurate out at longer ranges.  Don't take shots you are not comfortable with.

I do not do reloads yet! But one day I will! I will be preparing for longer shots but I am only confident to 200 now and maybe 300 when I go on this hunt. 300 is my goal!

• Like 1

I would use a heavier caliber and be prepared for farther shots as well.  Last I was up shots ranged from 200 to 500 yards.  6.5 creedmore or 7-08 would be the lightest calibers I'd suggest.  

• Like 1

My kids are going to be using a .243 for elk hunting this year.    We have shot quite a few elk with a .243 and they die really fast.   I have also found that if don't hit the animal they rarely die.   Can't tell you how many deer we have shot with a .243......Many on the Kiabab too.   Or you can go get a brand new 500 super nitro mega magnum and be cooler than all the other guys up there hunting deer.      

Don't know anything about copper bullets.    

• Like 3

"If I dont hit the animal they rarely die". Tell us about the rare ones that did die.😄 and cause of death.

Sorry, I thought that was funny. Maybe I have the bat flu and a fever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stick with your .243 and get 90 grain Nosler ballistic tips. youll be good out to 500 yard and then some if you can shoot.

you already have the gun you know how it shoots so stick with it. besides why waste money unless of coarse you want to..

if your on the west side I have a thousand+ or so rounds of loaded ammo you can try out. I probably got some heavier weights also as I have tons of .243 stuff cause its Primarily what I shoot besides my 300.

other wise pick up a box of the noslers go to range and shoot it, try a box of other brands as well and see what groups best for your gun.

• Like 2