Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

.243 for mulies?

21 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

"If I dont hit the animal they rarely die". Tell us about the rare ones that did die.😄 and cause of death.

Sorry, I thought that was funny. Maybe I have the bat flu and a fever.

Had a buddy miss one and it ran into a barbwire fence..........died shortly there after......

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Kidding aside to OP.  243 has its place.  If i was in your shoes id keep the 243 for coues and smaller game.  Get a 7mm for bigger animals like elk and big muleys.  Yes a 243 can work for elk and big deer. But when its time to shoot a big animal at a farther distance a heavier caliber is better.  

OR......you can just hit the animal in the correct spot and it will die with a .243.   Magnums have their place but very few animals really need a magnum.   Most guys would be a ton better off if they shot a much smaller caliber and spent more time behind the rifle.    Most guys are also more comfortable shooting a smaller caliber and will shoot it more accurately.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Had a buddy miss one and it ran into a barbwire fence..........died shortly there after......

I like that you called it barbed wire. Drives me crazy when people say bobwire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, recurveman said:

OR......you can just hit the animal in the correct spot and it will die with a .243.   Magnums have their place but very few animals really need a magnum.   Most guys would be a ton better off if they shot a much smaller caliber and spent more time behind the rifle.    Most guys are also more comfortable shooting a smaller caliber and will shoot it more accurately.   

Yeah it's super fun chasing an animal after a perfect shot a couple hundred yards.  I need more of that in my life. 

.243 Win will be fine for your hunt.  I'd suggest acquiring a quality rangefinder, there are great units available for less than $500.  Cross canyon shots may look like 200 - 300 yards but are often misjudged and are 500 - 600 yards.  A range finder will tell the story.  Also, don't soley rely on balistic programs/charts to prepare for longer shots, prove your rifles ballistic tendencies.  If you have not practiced at 300 yards, don't shoot at game @ 300 yards. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah it's super fun chasing an animal after a perfect shot a couple hundred yards.  I need more of that in my life. 

What would be your minimum for big mulies and is there a difference in your eyes between desert mulies and Rockies?

5 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

What would be your minimum for big mulies and is there a difference in your eyes between desert mulies and Rockies?

Not so much the size of the animal as much as expected distances on the bab.  Butt a fair answer to a fair question. Id put big Rocky muleys in the cow elk category.   But again,  id let my daughter shoot a cow at 200 yards with a 243. In a pinch with a very confident shooter 300 tops in good conditions.  Imo its not whether it will produce a kill as much as its about being able to find the animal should it run off, good hit or not. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Because I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm only 19

Dont make excuses for these fools. you are fine with a .243. shoot i'd use my 22-250 or 220 swift if I got drawn. oh wait I have and had.

listening to these fools will have you second guessing yourself when you take the shot. so DONT buy into there typical I would use this or that.

just make sure you can hit what you aim at the distances you feel comfortable and your good to go.

think of it this way you make a bad shot with a 300 winmag your still going to be tracking same goes for any caliber.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Delw said:

Dont make excuses for these fools. you are fine with a .243. shoot i'd use my 22-250 or 220 swift if I got drawn. oh wait I have and had.

listening to these fools will have you second guessing yourself when you take the shot. so DONT buy into there typical I would use this or that.

just make sure you can hit what you aim at the distances you feel comfortable and your good to go.

think of it this way you make a bad shot with a 300 winmag your still going to be tracking same goes for any caliber.

Gotcha! Imma go sight in my new scope this Friday at Rio Salado! Just got it mounted today!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Just last year.   My daughter shot a deer up on the Bab at 200 yards with a .243 and it went 10 yards.   Bang flop.    My buddy shot a deer at 100 yards on the strip with his 300 win mag (horrible shot placement) and it took us a ton of tracking, 4 guys, spotters, 4 hours and even more shots to get this animal killed.   Big guns are rarely the answer.   Being able to hit exactly where your supposed to hit the animal is the answer.   If you hit the animal where you are supposed to then almost any caliber will do the trick.   The big difference......I take my kids shooting quite a bit so that when it is time to pull the trigger they hit exactly where they are aiming.   Both my kids killed deer last year with one perfectly placed shot.......Unfortunately I can't get my thick headed buddies to spend time at the range.     

I've seen or personally shot probably close to 50 deer and elk sized critters killed with a .243 (mostly with a 90 nosler BT).   I've yet to see one make it 75 yards.   90% make it less than 10 yards.   For the longest time my wife thought that when you shot an animal with the .243 they just dropped in their tracks and you would just go pick them up.     

18 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

.243 Win will be fine for your hunt.  I'd suggest acquiring a quality rangefinder, there are great units available for less than $500.  Cross canyon shots may look like 200 - 300 yards but are often misjudged and are 500 - 600 yards.  A range finder will tell the story.  Also, don't soley rely on balistic programs/charts to prepare for longer shots, prove your rifles ballistic tendencies.  If you have not practiced at 300 yards, don't shoot at game @ 300 yards. 

Gotcha! I have a Nikon range finder. Imma test it at the shooting range tomorrow and see if its accurate at like 200-300 yards! My goal is to be comfortable at 300 but I get so excited when i see any deer i start shaking so 300 is an absolute limit for me!

15 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Gotcha! I have a Nikon range finder. Imma test it at the shooting range tomorrow and see if its accurate at like 200-300 yards! My goal is to be comfortable at 300 but I get so excited when i see any deer i start shaking so 300 is an absolute limit for me!

The shake is the best part!  I still get them but have learned to talk myself down a few notches.