firstcoueswas80

Glassing chair for big dudes

Couple years ago I just sat on the ground, by the end of the hunt my back was giving me serious problems. 

Last year, I exclusively used a 4 leg tripod style stool and it was great, but heavy. 

Looking to see what some guys might be using for guys north of 250#.

6 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Last year, I exclusively used a 4 leg tripod style stool and it was great, but heavy. 

Ha. This made me laugh. Reminds me of a coworker. I asked for a package of triple aaa batteries.  She asked me "is that the two a or 3 a kind"?

• Haha 3

Walkstool will handle a lot of weight.  Somewhat comfortable but it is a three leg stool.  Sit on it long enough and your butt will get sore.  It is very light and compact however.  I use one for treks but prefer a chair if reasonably close to a vehicle.

I am not 250+ but I am tall with a bad back. On the ground, I use a padded stadium chair so I can cinch it up for a little back support. I also use it on my 4 legged cheapy folding stool for a makeshift "chair". Has worked well for many years and isn't that heavy.

6 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

Honestly, I prefer a padded seat for the ground. Keeps my profile lower, allows me to be more stable and reduces the shaking issues on windy days. $10

Yep and last time i did that I couldn't walk properly until after a few trips to the chiropractor. 

You might check out the Helinox chairs. The are super packable, only weigh a couple of pounds, and are supposed to support up to 320 pounds. I really like mine. I don't usually take it on pack trips and usually opt for the pad. But I have a couple of times, especially if I think I am going to want to sit a little higher. Always end up glad when I actually do take it. I am 6'4" and currently weigh about 200 (maybe a few more thanks to my work from home COVID-19 eating habits.😥

They aren't cheap.

https://helinox.com/collections/chair-one

Here are a couple of pictures of mine to give you a better idea of size. 

20200629_140726.thumb.jpg.6176e8fdc0f3687171d86432d8a3990b.jpg20200629_140748.thumb.jpg.b66ee1bc6fc4730e78c847328ba3a302.jpg

• Like 2

I often pack a little stool, but I'm interested in something that won't put my nether regions to sleep.

• Like 1

I hate sitting on the ground. REI trail stool is what I have.  Super light and packable.  Only rated for 200, I'm 220 no problems yet. 

Those helinox look sweet, I find it hard to believe the weight capacity though. 

17 minutes ago, rossislider said:

You might check out the Helinox chairs. The are super packable, only weigh a couple of pounds, and are supposed to support up to 320 pounds. I really like mine. I don't usually take it on pack trips and usually opt for the pad. But I have a couple of times, especially if I think I am going to want to sit a little higher. Always end up glad when I actually do take it. I am 6'4" and currently weigh about 200 (maybe a few more thanks to my work from home COVID-19 eating habits.😥

They aren't cheap.

https://helinox.com/collections/chair-one

Here are a couple of pictures of mine to give you a better idea of size. 

20200629_140726.thumb.jpg.6176e8fdc0f3687171d86432d8a3990b.jpg20200629_140748.thumb.jpg.b66ee1bc6fc4730e78c847328ba3a302.jpg

I had a buddy from TX out a few years ago and he had one of these. It looked difficult to manipulate the tripod around.

Just now, CatfishKev said:

I hate sitting on the ground. REI trail stool is what I have.  Super light and packable.  Only rated for 200, I'm 220 no problems yet. 

Those helinox look sweet, I find it hard to believe the weight capacity though. 

I'm roughly 200 lbs roughly and I had my daughter (11 years old and probably 80-90 pounds) come and jump in my lap. Chair held up no problem. 

1 minute ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I had a buddy from TX out a few years ago and he had one of these. It looked difficult to manipulate the tripod around.

No more than any other chair I have used while glassing.

Just now, rossislider said:

I'm roughly 200 lbs roughly and I had my daughter (11 years old and probably 80-90 pounds) come and jump in my lap. Chair held up no problem. 

Is it pretty comfy can you lean back in it without a toppling over and still glass?