andrewmilich

thoughts on putting up stands early

I went scouting yesterday  to put up some cameras and on one tank someone had already put up a ground blind, ladder stand, and camera.  I can only assume it is for archery elk season.  I thought to have a stand out, ground blind, and camera  staking your claim already was a little early.  I could be wrong.  what are you thoughts?    btw didn't like the area anyway...(just saying that so I don't get upset....I loved the tank, dudes got prime real estate.)

4 minutes ago, andrewmilich said:

I went scouting yesterday  to put up some cameras and on one tank someone had already put up a ground blind, ladder stand, and camera.  I can only assume it is for archery elk season.  I thought to have a stand out, ground blind, and camera  staking your claim already was a little early.  I could be wrong.  what are you thoughts?    btw didn't like the area anyway...(just saying that so I don't get upset....I loved the tank, dudes got prime real estate.)

Depending on the access to the tank, he'll be lucky to still have his stuff still there... Sadly that's the state of things on public land it seems. 

I plan on putting my blind up a week or so before the open. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

Depending on the access to the tank, he'll be lucky to still have his stuff still there... Sadly that's the state of things on public land it seems. 

I plan on putting my blind up a week or so before the open. 

I agree I go up the week before and set up.  I dont mess with peoples stuff, but man I thought it was early.  I will be surprised also if it isn't jacked with

• Like 1

Don't really want to hijack this thread but it brings up a good point.  Do you think the guys who set their blinds or stands before the season starts are "reserving" it?  I only ask because this had a real impact on where I hunted last year.  Personally, I believe in all situations everything is first come first served whether you have a blind there or not.  I do not think it is okay to use someone else's property unless they specifically gave you permission.   I know if I set up a blind ahead of time and someone got there before me, I would leave.  I might or might not take my blind with me but I would leave.  If I want the spot bad enough, I would make a point to get there before someone else.

OZ31 posted while I was typing.  I agree 100% with his statement.

• Like 3

The first person physically at a spot, on any given day, will hunt any spot I visit - even if it is someone else sitting in my treestand over my camera. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Putting a camera, stand or ground blind does not stake your claim. 

I agree.   get up early or sleep out there.  First come first serve is my feeling.  problem is they then walk in your area and disturb the situation 

9 minutes ago, andrewmilich said:

I agree.   get up early or sleep out there.  First come first serve is my feeling.  problem is they then walk in your area and disturb the situation 

I think disturbing the situation is way more mental than actual. 

what unit?

• Like 1

As your question in your title, personally I think its BS but as long as its legal nothing I can do about it.,  I dont believe in using cameras for hunting. Thats just me.

seeing the pictures is cool though I will admit that.

as far as the stand, stand or no stand if I like the area and no one is physically on it when I get there I'm hunting the area. Ive seen a sign a few times over the years were some of these dudes have the balls to put up a time saying when they are hunting that area. some even park a vehicle close by and leave it un attended for a day or 2 trying to reserve there spots usually its the guides that have many friends helping there clients.

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I think disturbing the situation is way more mental than actual. 

what unit?

Had a buddy a few years ago have guys roll into the tank he was hunting... it had a road to it... and sat and had lunch for an hour while he sat there. 10mins after they left, deer were coming into the tank. I think in some areas they are just used to it. 

I can almost bet what tank it was, many people claim there spots early and they don't care who is first come first serve. Since I live up here and can monitor such places I do the forest service some good by removing abandoned stuff from the forest. many people leave stands and blinds on tanks and never hunt in them, they think it is going to deter people. if I don't see a person or they don't acknowledge they see me I walk up to tank and use there stuff during hunting season. when a hunt is not actively going on we remove the gear, we leave cameras. Its always nice when someone leaves their hunting equipment behind for you to use.

20 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

I can almost bet what tank it was, many people claim there spots early and they don't care who is first come first serve. Since I live up here and can monitor such places I do the forest service some good by removing abandoned stuff from the forest. many people leave stands and blinds on tanks and never hunt in them, they think it is going to deter people. if I don't see a person or they don't acknowledge they see me I walk up to tank and use there stuff during hunting season. when a hunt is not actively going on we remove the gear, we leave cameras. Its always nice when someone leaves their hunting equipment behind for you to use.

I don't sit tanks often, but when I do, I will record the hunter walking into the tank as evidence I was there 1st in the event of an argument. I have never had a problem and on the couple of occasions I was on a tank another hunter came in to, those dudes were super cool. Last season I had helped a guy pull his blind down mid-morning because he had to end his hunt early for whatever-odd reason. In return for my help and feeling bad about rolling in on the tank, he shared a bunch of pics of several really nice bulls that had been frequenting that tank and within the past few days. I had 2 really nice coues bucks and a doe hit the tank not 15min after we finished chatting it up and he left.

3 minutes ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

I don't sit tanks often, but when I do, I will record the hunter walking into the tank as evidence I was there 1st in the event of an argument. I have never had a problem and on the couple of occasions I was on a tank another hunter came in to, those dudes were super cool. Last season I had helped a guy pull his blind down mid-morning because he had to end his hunt early for whatever-odd reason. In return for my help and feeling bad about rolling in on the tank, he shared a bunch of pics of several really nice bulls that had been frequenting that tank and within the past few days. I had 2 really nice coues bucks and a doe hit the tank not 15min after we finished chatting it up and he left.

did you kill something off that tank?

I didn't...  I held out for one of the 2 monsters that dude showed me and passed on a bunch of small 5x's and average raghorns. It was my 1st archery bull tag and I wasn't thrilled with taking a bull off a tank unless it was the big one. That tank was an elk producing mutha for the couple days I sat on it.

• Like 2