andrewmilich

thoughts on putting up stands early

I showed up to my tree stand 2 years ago and found another hunter sitting in it.  I asked him what he was doing in my stand and he said "first come, first served". I said, "ok you win bro".  He then started getting very mad and threatened to shoot me as I began removing my strap on ladder to the stand.  As I walked away with my 15ft of ladder, all I could do was smile at him in the stand. When I came back the next day he was not there. 

• Like 5

Ya first come first with your own stuff.. Isn't the law 72 hrs before and after a hunt then other wise considered abandon and is now litter..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZLance said:

I showed up to my tree stand 2 years ago and found another hunter sitting in it.  I asked him what he was doing in my stand and he said "first come, first served". I said, "ok you win bro".  He then started getting very mad and threatened to shoot me as I began removing my strap on ladder to the stand.  As I walked away with my 15ft of ladder, all I could do was smile at him in the stand. When I came back the next day he was not there. 

Just out of curiosity... What proof did you have that the stand was your stand? Seems that he could have made it a bit more uncomfortable for you than he did. I see a lot of personal property that gets left on public land. Sometimes it gets claimed, sometimes it gets left when it's no longer of value or is inconvenient for the hunter to remove. 

Cracks me up that a lot of hunters don't realize that your property is no longer yours when you leave it behind. That's called trash to many.

Sorry Lance - not trying to roast your comment but found it difficult to avoid a direct response.

If I put up a tree stand before the week of opening day I would consider it mine, but if I showed up and you’re sitting in it I would gladly leave and just think of you as piece of shoot. And I would literally try and mess up your hunt up by shooting a bigger elk while you sat my set up and I did other things. But if you stole it...dang that’s messed up. But you can’t claim It so far away. I’ve seen a tree stand on the same water tank for 10+ years and I’ve never sat it because it wasn’t mine and I never Set one next to it. 

People are funny.

Great elk tank. Basically permanent stand in tree, several yrs. Only the stand, guy must take ladder with him.

Several days before season starts, I build a permanent ground blind , not far from stand , beside tank. 

Opening day, after chasing bugles all morning, I'm gonna sit blind.

I find a hunter up in tree! I'm basically told it's his tank and he'll be in it every day. Ok I leave and go sit on main trail leading from meadow to tank.

Next afternoon I get to blind early. Guy shows up and says I should leave. I tell him I'm here first so deal with it. Cuz I'll be sitting the blind every evening. Hes totally ticked off and hangs around yelling  an d making lots of noise till almost dark. 

I come back to sit tank next evening. Blind is totally thrown apart in every direction. I come back next morning after chasing bugling bulls and rebuild it. I sit it early , guy drives up,  cursing and flipping me off. He even comes back at prime time and starts honking horn. 

Guess he finally decided to hunt someplace else. 

Some hunters act like they own the forest. 

The next time I hunted that unit

His tree stand was gone !!!

I avoid people.  This year is a perfect example of why.  Stay away from people when hunting, you cant tell how stupid they might be.  Tanks are people magnets, stay away. 😷 

Some people who refuse to wear masks sit in the woods all day wearing a mask.  😲

Just keep in mind if there’s a hunt going on before yours don’t go messing around until your hunt starts. last day of late archery on my buddies hunt we had guys really ruin it coming in getting ready for their hunt. 

On 6/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, AZDirtyTaco said:

Just out of curiosity... What proof did you have that the stand was your stand? Seems that he could have made it a bit more uncomfortable for you than he did. I see a lot of personal property that gets left on public land. Sometimes it gets claimed, sometimes it gets left when it's no longer of value or is inconvenient for the hunter to remove. 

Cracks me up that a lot of hunters don't realize that your property is no longer yours when you leave it behind. That's called trash to many.

Sorry Lance - not trying to roast your comment but found it difficult to avoid a direct response.

Already he didn't cut the tree down, I do believe he knows what his stands look like. There are lots of opportunist out there that don't no chit about hunting so they follow other people around and post on here not looking for hot spots. And just because the forest service has determined after 72hrs its trash. Let me see someone driveibg away with my stand or blind, thyll get some trash out of my 460s&w..  So anything you take to the woods and leave in camp is no longer yours correct? Just wondering

Didn't mean to back you up azlance.. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Already he didn't cut the tree down, I do believe he knows what his stands look like. There are lots of opportunist out there that don't no chit about hunting so they follow other people around and post on here not looking for hot spots. And just because the forest service has determined after 72hrs its trash. Let me see someone driveibg away with my stand or blind, thyll get some trash out of my 460s&w..  So anything you take to the woods and leave in camp is no longer yours correct? Just wondering

Didn't mean to back you up azlance.. Lol

Interesting that you would be willing to kill someone over you breaking the law and leaving your blind past 72hrs unoccupied and them cleaning up your trash? I'd take a sick day from work to hear that argument during your murder trial.  

I gather you're struggling to distinguish the difference of an active camp vs. a blind/stand that has been left illegally. The argument isn't worth the keystrokes if that's really a comparison you feel strongly about.

The subject comes up constantly about people getting pissed and then crying here about how other people view their abandoned property on public land. Anyone that does intentionally leave their crap in the woods only has themselves to blame if it comes up missing or damaged. If you are going to be confrontational about "your" tank, spot, blind, stand, etc... I suggest you make it your 24/7 home for the hunt or run the risk of someone else being there. Funny to hear which topics some pick and chose when to respect and/or abide by the law.

Lastly, there generally are only a few ideal locations on a tank to set-up. It's sad that some of you would be prick enough to think you can prevent someone else from having a good opportunity and get in that same position because you put up a stand/blind a day/week/month earlier. What, you just get to show up whenever you feel like rolling your lazy and hung-over ars out of camp because you already laid claim?!?!?  Weak sauce and crappy ethics...  

18 hours ago, elkaholic said:

People are funny.

Great elk tank. Basically permanent stand in tree, several yrs. Only the stand, guy must take ladder with him.

Several days before season starts, I build a permanent ground blind , not far from stand , beside tank. 

Opening day, after chasing bugles all morning, I'm gonna sit blind.

I find a hunter up in tree! I'm basically told it's his tank and he'll be in it every day. Ok I leave and go sit on main trail leading from meadow to tank.

Next afternoon I get to blind early. Guy shows up and says I should leave. I tell him I'm here first so deal with it. Cuz I'll be sitting the blind every evening. Hes totally ticked off and hangs around yelling  an d making lots of noise till almost dark. 

I come back to sit tank next evening. Blind is totally thrown apart in every direction. I come back next morning after chasing bugling bulls and rebuild it. I sit it early , guy drives up,  cursing and flipping me off. He even comes back at prime time and starts honking horn. 

Guess he finally decided to hunt someplace else. 

Some hunters act like they own the forest. 

The next time I hunted that unit

His tree stand was gone !!!

Super sad.  I think he would have a few secret supporters of his actions on this site, unfortunately.

As mentioned previously, it's pretty rare for me to be on a tank. But I have nothing but good things to say about the people I've come across on a few occasions.

• Like 1

I did say I would throw trash out of my 460s&w, to clarify I wouldn't shoot anyone, unless you come after my wife and kids.  Continue. 

And this is the 72 hrs before and after a hunt begins and ends I'm speaking of. Same as a camp or should be correct? I have had my trailer tagged in Coconino by NFS  because I went home for a night, not my law. And the opportunists comment wasn't  directed at you unless you follow people around, which I don't think you do.. Nothing personal but this is a never ending fight.. Proceed please