RimCountry350

100+Yard Shots - What's your approach?

Disclaimer:  I am a long time ethical hunter and I only target practice with my bow at this distance purely for fun.  I do not hunt/shoot animals at this distance nor do I recommend, suggest or condone taking shots at any animals at this distance or ANY distance for that matter if you are not confident that you can make a lethal shot every time.  Be ethical and know your limits!!

I get this may sound like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyhow...

For those that target practice for fun out to 100+yds:  How many arrows will you shoot in a sitting and how much time between shots? 

I ask because obviously fatigue is much more apparent at longer distances.  I will shoot no more than 9 shots (3 sets of 3) with about 1 minute between each shot and I can maybe shoot 12" groups (I realize I have lots of work to do to tighten that up).  If I shoot more rapidly than that or shoot more than 9 my consistency starts to decline quite a bit.  Wasn't sure how others might approach the longer shots?

Here is my current setup:

Bow: Hoyt Helix, 28.5" @ 70lbs / BlackGold Ascent Verdict 5-pin / limbdriver drop-away / 8" fuse stabilizer (frontend) - nothing on the backend.

Arrows: GT HunterXT - 340s / with 100 gn tip / 2" Blazer Fletchings.

• Like 1

I usually shoot longer ranges the same as shorter ranges...I’ll shoot 3-6 arrows then retrieve and shoot again. The retrieval time is adequate rest for me. For me 10-12” is a pretty good group at 100...I’d never shoot that range at an animal either, but it makes those 60 yd shots seem much shorter. 

I have a similar setup...a couple years ago I switched to 125grn heads and got better groups at longer range, presumably due to increased FOC. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I usually shoot longer ranges the same as shorter ranges...I’ll shoot 3-6 arrows then retrieve and shoot again. The retrieval time is adequate rest for me. For me 10-12” is a pretty good group at 100...I’d never shoot that range at an animal either, but it makes those 60 yd shots seem much shorter. 

I have a similar setup...a couple years ago I switched to 125grn heads and got better groups at longer range, presumably due to increased FOC. 

I will typically do the same...I'll shoot my 3 sets @ 100 and then I'll move my way down to shorter ranges...I agree with you, those 60yds have begun to look more like 40 used to!

I've heard about the FOC but don't know too much.  I might do a little more research on that!  Thanks for the input! 

Great question! Shooting longer distances will make you a much better short distance shooter.   Max of 3 arrows per sequence- roughly 2-3 minutes between shots. The key is maintain form, hold the level and follow through.  After 3 rounds, I shoot a round at 50. and two more rounds of 100 and end with round at 30. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bowhunter4life said:

Great question! Shooting longer distances will make you a much better short distance shooter.   Max of 3 arrows per sequence- roughly 2-3 minutes between shots. The key is maintain form, hold the level and follow through.  After 3 rounds, I shoot a round at 50. and two more rounds of 100 and end with round at 30. 

Thanks!  I never was able to find much by searching other forums so I figured I'd ask the question myself LOL!

For me follow through is the most important thing when shooting long distances. My accuracy is off everytime if I don't follow through the shot.

• Like 2

If your getting fatigued in 9 shots you need to shoot more and build up your stamina. Lighten your draw weight and work your way up. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:58 AM, bdhuntr said:

If your getting fatigued in 9 shots you need to shoot more and build up your stamina. Lighten your draw weight and work your way up. 

You make a good pint.  I do get out to the range about 4 times a week and shoot 30-40 shots at 3Ds at various ranges (at least that's been my routine for the last 4 months).  I just feel that I have too much pin float if I'm shooting to many and too rapidly at 100+.  I have to go at it slow to keep a slower pin float.  Again, you make a good point though.

Good reminder:  I gotta do some long bombing.... 

ling range shooting + aiming drills is the best cure for target panic I’ve ever found.  I shoot like crap at that range, but find that if I can shoot well enough to stay on my 20” target at 100 then I’m shooting a softball group at 50.  

like @creed said: follow through is everything.  If you drop the bow arm or torque it just a little, you’re way off.  However if I still see the target in my pin guard after the shot, I’m usually pretty close

• Like 1