Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Looking for recommendations for a Pellet Smoker

I have a green mountain grill and love it.  I got more features than my neighbors same sized Traeger for cheaper. I probably smoke a brisket, ribs, or pork butt almost every weekend.  It produces enough smoke to not need a pellet tube... but I still add one.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eagle#eyes said:

I have a green mountain grill and love it.  I got more features than my neighbors same sized Traeger for cheaper. I probably smoke a brisket, ribs, or pork butt almost every weekend.  It produces enough smoke to not need a pellet tube... but I still add one.  

I got the portable one you can hook up to a 12v battery.  We would take it to out of town jobs or in the camper for hunts. It worked pretty dang well. 

• Like 1

I have a Green Mountain Grill. Said to be built better than Traeger. I love mine and use it a lot. Did brisket flat again yesterday with amazing results. 

Really easy. 9# flat on at 9:30pm at 200°. Woke and wrapped at 5:30am (165-170°) bumped up smoker temp to 250°. Took off at 12:30 @205° rest until 1:30 before serving. I season 24 hr before with Kinder’s The Blend (salt, pepper, course garlic). 

FAAB4C1F-F9BA-4CC1-AF66-7500708FC9C2.jpeg

ED74DEB5-8E09-405A-A6D7-293AB32F4A2F.jpeg

586ADB82-B489-4A9C-BA25-BCDD7C465577.jpeg

• Like 5

I’ve had the Green Mountain grill for a couple of years. I think you get more bang for the buck. Control everything from my phone. Smoked rib roast, ribs, pork butts, turkey , ham, fish. Not much I haven’t done. Set up profiles on your phone and let it go. I’d buy it again.

• Like 1

I love my Rec Tec. 40 lb hopper, all stainless steel, low rolling smoke, and ability to get up to searing temps. Better temperature regulation than the others too. That’s what I wanted. 

B83497B3-D38A-4731-A7B1-9813D4E1D66F.jpeg

B8D20979-4AE8-42F9-B4FA-F50F2132A518.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

My new pit boss is so easy, cleaning smoking , trap door to swap, out pellets, self clean, can go up to 400°. Check them out at Lowe's.. Also you can use tragger pellets if need be, but I found a great variety of pit boss pellets at Walmart..

Re-read what the others are saying about Camp Chef. Best bang for your buck. The side burner is a must. For example, I'll smoke a few dozen chicken wings then drop them on the sear burner for a few minutes. They bounce and move around like jumping beans because of the swelling from being so juicy. Best we've ever had.

Easy to clean. Easier to swap out pellets. Controller is upgradeable. I used hi temp silicon glue and cloth seal specifically made for oven doors, hot areas for sealing. Mine does not leak a drop of smoke out of the door and temps maintain easily in the +/- 5 degree range. Camp Chef customer service is good as well.

• Like 1

I got a Traeger a few weeks ago. I couldn’t be happier. 

BBQ Guys are have a good sale online with some killer smokers..

Depends on your price range and what you want to be able to do. 

High End: Mak Grills>Pitts & Spitts>Cookshack. Memphis depending on your needs.

Mid Tier: Yoder>Blaz'n>Rec Tec>Traeger(New controller). The new weber one has had some issues since its release and I have yet to see an updated fix for it.

Entry Level: GMG Prime>Camp Chef WW>Traeger(Old Controller)

Make sure to review the controller on whatever you decide to get. Wifi is nice for those that work, several brands have issues with them resetting or requiring a Wifi extender to be placed near the smoker. 

20200705_183318.jpg

20200705_184806.jpg

20200621_171731.jpg

20200630_180254.jpg

• Like 1