Sign in to follow this  
Huntnm2001

New Mexico desert sheep

Looks like you are doing your homework.

Here is my good friend Jesse with Dain Ellsworths ram taken out of the Peloncillo's in 11/03/2012.

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt!

L1000750.JPG

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Wow! 1

On 8/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, Huntnm2001 said:

I intend to enjoy every minute of the hunt. The peloncillos are in unit 27, just across the border from the chiricahuas in Arizona. 

The desert sheep in Arizona are in Unit 28.  No one knows the area better (both sides of the border) that the guides for Double H Outfitters and specifically Matt Holcomb.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Double-H-Outfitters-Arizona-262297363806994/about/

Sorry guys I was just reminded that I did not complete the story and post photos of the rest of the hunt. 

I made a couple more scouting trips without finding the ram I wanted to hang my tag on.

20210928_120734.jpg

20201026_150431.jpg

• Like 2

Finally on the afternoon before the hunt I found a group of sheep a couple miles away with some rams in the group. I moved in closer for a better look and found nothing suitable in the group. Until I looked a few hundred yards left of the main bunch.

20210928_121314.jpg

20210928_121344.jpg

• Like 1

What really sealed it for me on this sheep was his body size. He was easily the biggest bodied sheep i had seen so I figured his horns should be even more impressive than they actually looked. I backed out of the area and watched him till dark, knowing I'd find him close the next morning. 

After a night of wondering whether I should punch my tag for this ram I was back behind the glass at first light. Sure enough, as soon as I could see there they were. I grabbed the rifle and off we went. After making a big circle I started up the canyon just below the sheep and immediately ran into another mature ram. When I saw him I almost had second thoughts about which to shoot, but in the end it was a good decision to pursue the one I had started after. 

I kept going up the canyon and ran into a group of ewes and lambs that were right in the bottom of the canyon. They were only 100 yards away and hadn't seen me yet so my shot would have to be from here, 543 yards.

20201101_083552.jpg

Screenshot_20201220-195625_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

At the first shot the sheep didn't even flinch. I hadn't accounted enough for the angle of the shot! As he trotted across the ridge i made an adjustment and when he stopped i squeezed the trigger. And he dropped. He started rolling down the hill and came to a stop. I watched him for a few seconds and when he struggled to get up again I sent a final one on the way to finish him off. It took a little while to make my way over to him but when I reached my ram I was elated. He was everything I could have hoped for and a perfect end to a great hunt.

20201101_100558.jpg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg

• Like 2

Congratulations on your success! 

I had been wondering how things panned out.  So glad you continued with a follow up post.

Sweet ram!

Great ram and a great story! Do you have a photo of him from  the front head on?