Sign in to follow this  
ForkHorn

First Lite Clothing - Need input

I've never owned any of the fancy camos but figured it's time to get some better stuff.  Of the major brands out there I can get the best deal on First Lite so that's why I'm sticking with them.

I need a good set of pants - brush busting and can be warm. Think Coues Country central AZ in the winter, if they could double time as October pants that'd be great.

I figure I need a decent jacket for those cold windy glassing days.

What else if you're starting from scratch?  Layers? I want to be able to sit on a windy hill side in December and not freeze.  

Anything that doubles as an October hunt clothing is even better.

I'm coming from jeans with thermals when necessary and a Carhartt jacket when it's cold.  Not great to hike in but it's worked. I've been curious about the nicer gear for awhile and it's time to make the leap.

The Sawbuck pant has replaced my carharts in stickery shrubby catclaw country. Legit. Plus a warm weather pant I'd call it. 

• Like 1

I've been eyeballing the sawbuck pant. I figure if it's not warm enough I can wear thermals underneath and be fine.  

Jackets seem a bit more confusing.  There are puffy jackets and hybrid jackets.

Are most guys running a puffy jacket in their pack to put on when needed? And a more mid jacket for the rest of the day?

I know it's not AS good as first lite but take a look at badlands gear.  At least once a year usually around black friday and I think right after the new year they have a 50٪ off sale

Check out rokslide.com, they have huge community on clothing.  Also, call FL, they can also help guide you on a kit.

If you are trying to safe a few bucks, you can get a puffy from the big name hiking places, ie., eddie bauer, arcteryx, patagonia etc....  I look at neutral colors and buy it that way. If i need camo and cold /  windy, I will wear my camo rain gear and it goes over the puffy.  The rain gear will save you money and keep you warmer than just a jacket.

I wear wool base layers in summer when they can dry out easily and synthetics in the winter. Stay away from cotton.

Get an butt pad if you are sitting on the ground in winter, it will keep you warmer.

• Like 1

I got the sawbuck brush pant last year for quail and coues hunting. They did a great job while I was hunting Mearns. I think I ordered a waist size bigger than I normally do because of how these pants are cut. Overall a nice pant 

https://www.firstlite.com/products/mens-sawbuck-brush-pant

8 minutes ago, Tres said:

I got the sawbuck brush pant last year for quail and coues hunting. They did a great job while I was hunting Mearns. I think I ordered a waist size bigger than I normally do because of how these pants are cut. Overall a nice pant 

https://www.firstlite.com/products/mens-sawbuck-brush-pant

Yep - when I got them I was skeptical. 

I immediately went on a 10 mile walkabout through catclaw, mesquite, scrub, etc. I was impressed by the end of it and still am as they are holding up well to boot. 

6 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

Yep - when I got them I was skeptical. 

I immediately went on a 10 mile walkabout through catclaw, mesquite, scrub, etc. I was impressed by the end of it and still am as they are holding up well to boot. 

How noisey are they?