Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

Happy Birthday America!

Thank god for the USA, that was born on this day under the ideas of liberty, equality, opportunity, individual freedom and the responsibility that goes with it .  We’ve had our share of problems along the way, but nothing at all is perfect in this world and this country is FAR more good than it is bad.  We’ve lifted 100s of millions out of poverty around the world and provided freedom from tyranny to our own citizens and many millions of foreigners as well.

thank god for all the brave that have worn our uniforms, our Leo’s and first responders that guard the line between civilization and chaos, and for all the moms and dads that raise their kids right, and teach them to stand for that flag and love the country that has given so many gifts to so many people.

• Like 8

Well said

I've been working a lot on the family tree.

Interesting tidbit from the Civil War, I had a great grandfather x 3, that left NC to serve in the Union Army while his father and uncle both fought in the confederacy. All three survived the war although my great grandad x 4 took a musket ball to the femor in the battle of Antitiem.

I have identified 4 direct ancestors so far, whom fought in the American Revolution. The amount of documentation from their drafting or commissioning, to their widows benefit applications is staggering.

One of my 7th great grandfathers and his son both fought in the Revolution. The senior received his commission of 2nd It. in the American Navy. He survived the war and fought again in the war of 1812. He was one of thousands of American seaman to die a POW held in England.

• Like 5

That’s crazy how they had and kept enough documentation to trace down that family history 200 years later.  Very cool stuff!

Hope were still America in a year.. Happy 4th to all..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

That’s crazy how they had and kept enough documentation to trace down that family history 200 years later.  Very cool stuff!

Some others in the family did a lot of research long before I came along.

If one served in the military or had a stable residence they would have dozens of records from being drafted, married, pensions and census reports.

Here's one of my ancestors revolutionary war pension docs.430440806_Capture_2020-07-04-10-11-24.thumb.png.22545857c77bfb69e06905d0a8fb68e0.png

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing some of your family history, its very neat. I love history and have began to trace my family tree as well. It's very interesting!

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Hope were still America in a year.. Happy 4th to all..

We won't be.  Once the NFL plays the BNA in a couple months, that'll be the official start of the beginning of the end. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

Happy Birthday America!!!!!

Eddie

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Dirt said:

Thanks for sharing some of your family history, its very neat. I love history and have began to trace my family tree as well. It's very interesting!

Have you done a DNA test? I did mine with Ancestry.com and was instantly linked.

I highly recommend it unless of course you're a fugitive.

Just now, Edge said:

Have you done a DNA test? I did mine with Ancestry.com and was instantly linked.

I highly recommend it unless of course you're a fugitive.

HAHA nothing to hide here. I did a test a couple of years ago and was amazed at what I found. I've spent hours on Ancestry.com linking it all together. From Revolutionary war casulties, to a US Senator, to multiple direct relatives fighting on both sides of the Civil War (even POWs on both sides). I highly recommend people digging back into their family tree. 

• Like 2