Sign in to follow this  
Rutha73

Turkey Load

So a couple friends and I got drawn for turkey in October in 5b south. What is everyone's favorite shell for them? I am shooting a Mossberg 835 that will take up to 3.5" shells and my buddy is planning on getting a Benelli Nova before then so he can shoot 3.5" shells also. 

Pattern testing is always the best way to PROVE which load will work best in your shotgun/choke combo.  That being said, I've had really good luck with Federal 3" 12 gauge #5 copper plated lead turkey loads with the flite control wads, so have my hunting buddies.  There have been many improvements since this load came out but it is relatively cheap and flattens birds easily.  #6 shot version does not seem to produce instant kills like the #5's. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jdown said:

TSS loads. Any guage.  Lots of birds being killed with 410s even - all ranges and all the rage. 

TSS is expensive as heck, but worth every penny.  I had my son shooting the Federal TSS #7s (3" 20g) for this spring and he almost decapitated his bird at 16 yards.   His Weatherby is finicky, though, and won't consistently eject loads moving under 1200 fps.  Federal TSS is 1150 and it didn't kick the next round in the chamber.  I had him pattern and test an Apex 3" 20g with #9 shot and it put 60 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yards, as well as ejected the spent case and loaded the next round.  I'll be switching my 3.5" loads to Apex next season.

• Like 2

I have a 20 gauge I bought just this year.there wasn't squat for ammo at the stores in April.  Should they be stocked up yet and ideas where I can buy TSS....Thanks .............................BOB!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, naturebob said:

I have a 20 gauge I bought just this year.there wasn't squat for ammo at the stores in April.  Should they be stocked up yet and ideas where I can buy TSS....Thanks .............................BOB!

My go to is the Sportsmans warehouse in Mesa, if I cant find what I am looking for there I go a little further north to Bass Pro shops. I should probly run up there tomorrow to try and grab some shells before everyone is looking for them right before the hunt.

I live right by the sportsman on I-17 and Yorkshire . I will check em out Tomm.  Thanks .....................BOB!

11 hours ago, naturebob said:

11 hours ago, Rutha73 said:

My go to is the Sportsmans warehouse in Mesa, if I cant find what I am looking for there I go a little further north to Bass Pro shops. I should probly run up there tomorrow to try and grab some shells before everyone is looking for them right before the hunt.

I've only been able to buy Apex TSS loads on their website.  I know you can get the Federal TSS loads from Sportsman's, Bass Pro, and Cabela's.  The 3-inch #7s patterned great out of my son's 20g, but just wouldn't eject/reload properly because of the muzzle velocity.

• Like 1