Ingo

Would you take a .223 for your wife?

dse Not sure if you shoot benchrest but if you don’t you should....A 2 inch group at 1000 yards with ANY rifle would put you in the money at every event. And as someone who spent many yrs at these events if you sat down at a table and put a wager down that you could do it with a 22-250 you would make thousands of dollars.... I believe the world record for light gun ( under 17 lbs ) is just over 1 inch....shot with a full custom 6 mm dasher

If she’s comfortable and proficient shooting the .243 and/or the .260 I’m not sure I understand why this is even a question...go with the .243 if you want to minimize recoil. 

2 hours ago, dse said:

Several reasons actually. One my main deer rifle is shot out and holding a little over 2 moa. The 22-250 will shoot 2" groups @ 1000 yds all day long. 

Thanks for the laugh -

6 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I have shot 7 deer with a .223. The Barnes is by far the best bullet I used, The last deer I shot was at 300yds, I hit him 3 times in the lungs and none of the bullets exited. He went 150yds before he died. I only used it because it was the only rifle I had growing up. It wouldn't be my first choice especially since you have other options.  

did you have a problem with fouling  in the .223? I had major problems with fouling in the 22-250 and .220 swift using barnes bullets. That being said I haven't tried them in 15+ years.

Id get up to 5 shots and accuracy went to shoot. scrub barrel no issues. I believe the were the old barnes X bullets, I still have a box or 2 laying around somewhere. I was running between mid range and high range of the loading data.

my .243 and 6mm Remington I had no problems with fouling, Dad has some fouling with them in a 7mm Remington mag. I was going ton try them in the 25-06 but figure the speed was too fast for the bullet.

Again these were 80's and 90's era bullets. I did love how they preformed on yotes, they didnt gut it or make a mess held together pretty good. recovered a few I shot head on below the throat and the way the bullet peeled was pretty nice.

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Why?

doesnt make any difference as to why its legal.

Maybe he wanted to

Use the .243   I load sierra 100grain Spitzer boat tails with 38grains of h4350. Its deadly in all of my .243's. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beaton said:

Use the .243   I load sierra 100grain Spitzer boat tails with 38grains of h4350. Its deadly in all of my .243's. 

Similar load in mine, 41.3 grains. Shoots great.

1 hour ago, Delw said:

did you have a problem with fouling  in the .223? I had major problems with fouling in the 22-250 and .220 swift using barnes bullets. That being said I haven't tried them in 15+ years.

Id get up to 5 shots and accuracy went to shoot. scrub barrel no issues. I believe the were the old barnes X bullets, I still have a box or 2 laying around somewhere. I was running between mid range and high range of the loading data.

my .243 and 6mm Remington I had no problems with fouling, Dad has some fouling with them in a 7mm Remington mag. I was going ton try them in the 25-06 but figure the speed was too fast for the bullet.

Again these were 80's and 90's era bullets. I did love how they preformed on yotes, they didnt gut it or make a mess held together pretty good. recovered a few I shot head on below the throat and the way the bullet peeled was pretty nice.

doesnt make any difference as to why its legal.

Maybe he wanted to

I wasn't asking you, I'm asking him.

I'm well aware that its legal. 

But thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigorange said:

If she’s comfortable and proficient shooting the .243 and/or the .260 I’m not sure I understand why this is even a question...go with the .243 if you want to minimize recoil. 

Yeah, I know. If we're looking at 400 yards we'll set up the .260. I just thought the .223 with a good bullet would be plenty for a Coues at 200. It's just such an accurate gun I know she could easily put one in the heart with it at 200 and wouldn't have to even think about recoil. 

43 minutes ago, Ingo said:

Yeah, I know. If we're looking at 400 yards we'll set up the .260. I just thought the .223 with a good bullet would be plenty for a Coues at 200. It's just such an accurate gun I know she could easily put one in the heart with it at 200 and wouldn't have to even think about recoil. 

Set them both up or all 3 and bring them. Let her shoot what she feels comfortable with. No law against you carrying a gun on her hunt. And if you have a third going with you then they can carry one too. I think a .223 alone is under gunned but if a close shot presents itself then do it. If it doesn’t then you have more gun available.

I loaded up some 69SMKs in .223 for a buddy to take his, and a couple of kid's friends, on the Jr doe hunt up on the Kaibab a few years ago.  

4 shots out to 180, 4 deer.  I don't see why they wouldn't work on Coues to 200.

But I am with Casey, if you have a .243, I would go that route.  I have seen big mulies drop to well placed shots in 6XC, 6x47L, 6 Dasher, 6CM, .243 Win, 6mm Rem.  

As Lance said,  I would use a bigger bullet than a 55 gr if I had  to use it for deer. But I would probably use one of the bigger rifles. If you are really worried about recoil you could put a break on one of the bigger guns. Food for thought...

I just want to see a 2" group @ a 1000 yards with a .22 cal bullet.  I am calling shennanigans.  I am sure it is accurate, but 2" @ a thousand?  Com' on man.

• Wow! 1

Where did he go?

Personally seen a cow Tatonka taken with one shot through both lungs at 80 yards with 223/55TSX.  Rib in, rib out, exited, one dead butt Buffalo stumbled about 20 yards.  

Coues are no more bullet proof than any other animal.  Take out vitals, you’ve got meat.  Miss the vitals, and you’re in for a rodeo.  Stick to broadside or favorable quartering shots, she’ll do fine.  

• Like 1