Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Favorite Elk Broadheads

8 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I bought 6 of the ne Hyde broadhead , original maker of drive diggers. Thx

You will love them!  Let me know your thoughts after getting them and shooting them!

• Like 1

I've taken most my elk with slick tricks but my last one was with a rage.  I have now switched to rage trypans because of the thicker blades.  Unbelievable blood trails for the short walks they have after the shot.   

• Like 1

If you make a great shot expandables are fine...but fixed blade are best. I’ve personally killed 4 bulls with grizztrick 100gr heads. All I can say is steer clear of Montecs... in 15 years of guiding hunts I’ve seen more bulls lost to that design than all the others combined. Bad and good hits too not just fault of the hunter.

• Like 1

Slick trick standards or wasp boss bullet. Both shot great to eighty yards at 285 fps. Now use Zwick y Eskimo 110’s at 260 fps. Arrow weight is 465  g r s. Have to tune them but a excellent cut on contact traditional broadhead.

9 hours ago, vincefmx said:

If you make a great shot expandables are fine...but fixed blade are best. I’ve personally killed 4 bulls with grizztrick 100gr heads. All I can say is steer clear of Montecs... in 15 years of guiding hunts I’ve seen more bulls lost to that design than all the others combined. Bad and good hits too not just fault of the hunter.

Do the Montecs not penetrate enough?

10 hours ago, vincefmx said:

I've heard this from a few guides and it blows me away because I've had good results with montecs. 2 bulls one at 25 the other at 35, both double lung pass through and the 25 yd shot dead centered a rib on entrance. Both had some of the best blood trails I've seen and ran less than 100 yds. They did a number on a couple pigs in texas as well, though the blood trails were weak on those. Helped a friend get a bull with them too and he had a double lung pass through at 50 yds with short draw length and 50 pound draw weight, good blood trail and he died just out of sight. 

• Like 1

Never had a Montec fail to perform. My family all uses them and most of my friends use them. I think ALL broadheads can lose animals just like every bullet and every caliber of gun can. It's hard to say why an animal doesn't die, but some just don't.

Lots of good broadheads out there right now.

Just like lots of good fishing lures and lots of good camo......

• Like 2

I like those new Jekyll and Hydes, but I'm pretty happy shooting the QAD Exodus in swept.

40 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Do the Montecs not penetrate enough?

Except for an elk shoulder I hit once, I've had complete penetration on every animal I've hit with my 125gr Montecs (SS, not the CS).

I also love the QAD Exodus in swept.  Im a big fan of that broad head staying in the elk and churning as they run if possible

like any broadhead,  keep it sharp.  Fred Bear used to say if your broadhead was razor sharp you could hit an animal almost anywhere and it would die.....

• Like 1

Only bad ive heard about the g5 montecs was sometimes they came dull and need sharpened  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Never had a Montec fail to perform. My family all uses them and most of my friends use them. I think ALL broadheads can lose animals just like every bullet and every caliber of gun can. It's hard to say why an animal doesn't die, but some just don't.

Lots of good broadheads out there right now.

Just like lots of good fishing lures and lots of good camo......

It’s not hard to say. 

its either vented one or both lungs and suffocate them or caused enough blood loss to kill it. Or it didn’t