Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Favorite Elk Broadheads

I too had a bad experience with Montecs...older model. I spent a lot of time sharpening them before the hunt, but could not get them to shave hair off the back of my hand. I hit a 5x5 bull behind the leg, low lung, above the heart. It poked out the opposite side center of lungs. It pushed back out as he ran. Not much blood, and no blood after 100 yards. We grid searched for a total of 14 hours before finding him the next afternoon...1/2 mile away! Both lungs were punched. It was the most disturbing, emotionally draining experience I've had in hunting. I've killed 3 cows and one bull previous with Thunderheads. All died within 50 yards. But they are hard to tune. I lean toward a good fixed blade head, but like the idea of an easy blood trail. I think a good hybrid may be the trick. I like the looks of the JEKYLL or HYDE. If I had a bull tag this year, I'd probably go that route.

• Like 1

I e shot the old style shuttle ts and loved them but the new ones I'm not a fan of at all. I have used Magnus Black Hornets and Steelforce Phatheads and would shoot either one over many of the other styles available after extensive and strenuous testing on both.