Ryan91027

Arizona Mule Deer

Im entering my senior year of high school and for a graduation present, my mom and I have been discussing a western hunt in 2021. I live in south Florida so and have been hunting tiny deer in the swamp and have no experience in western states. I have put in a good bit of research and decided on Mule Deer in Arizona. I have been looking into hunting the desert as I think it would be easier on my mom (I would be more than willing to hike 10+ miles a day but she couldnt.) I dont care about getting a monster buck but would rather get a small one than nothing. I have been looking at unit 41 and some of the units around it are these any good? not looking for anyone's secret spot but a general area would be appreciated. I would prefer a rifle hunt as I have a 270 with a 3.5x10 scope, is that enough magnification? I would take an otc archery if I dont draw a rifle tag. Any necessary gear or tips would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the giant wall of text- im stuck inside with quarantine and bad weather so I have had nothing to do but think of questions to ask

• Like 3

You just missed the AZ deer draw.  It would have been good to get a bonus point.  

Some of the desert hunts can be tough.  You need to have good binoculars, a tripod, and practice.  

A .270 Win w. 10x scope is plenty.  

OTC archery in Dec/Jan (2022) are great hunts.  The Aug/Sept hunts can be brutal, and a lot of the desert units are not open.

• Like 5

Lance is spot on. January otc archery would be a great hunt since you missed the draw for general hunts. Plus early Jan is usually good rut action. Lots of good desert mulie areas you could access out of Phx or Tucson since you’ll be traveling in. 

good binos...glass them up and try to get in bow range. Repeat multiple times daily until it works out. :D I grew up hunting eastern whitetails in TN and love spot n stalk mulies...totally different hunting style. 

• Like 2

Good on you and your mom for having the guts to get out and try something new!  It might take you a couple years to draw rifle in one of the desert units.  I agree with the others on the OTC archery hunt.  Another option would be looking into CO, WY or MT rifle.  All should be doable for getting tags for fall of 2021.  If you’re looking into it be sure to buy a preference point if you decide on MT or WY.  They sell them in late summer.  If you decide on MT let me know and I can line you up on some places.  Your chance for a giant will be less then AZ by far but your chance at a nice 4x4 muley will be much better.  

• Like 2

An archery desert deer hunt (like unit 41 and surrounding) will be tough especially for a first-timer. Deer densities are very low and often found in pockets. You may be better off considering a unit around Tucson that holds more deer and where you could chase both muleys and Coues. Additionally, you could apply for or pick up a leftover javelina permit to have in your back pocket.

• Like 3

The Colorado secondary draw is either coming soon or in the process. You can probably pick up a tag on the eastern plains and have a crack at some good bucks with a shorter drive. You need to have a hunter safety card. 

• Like 1

I'll trade you.  I'll help you out with archery deer/javelina and if I ever get the desire for an ocsellated turkey you can help me out. 

• Like 5

Same here. IDGAF, they are the Osceolla in Florida.  I had a hunt booked this year but the covid came up and my flight got cancelled. I might drive there next year ,Got friends there I can visit all over the State. I need that one to accomplish my Royal Slam. Good luck on drawing a tag here. You might need one or 2 bonus points...................BOB!

• Like 1

Im still trying to learn osceola turkey myself, went in spring an only saw a single hen. Ill look into Colorado but one of the reasons I chose Arizona is the mild winter so I wouldnt have to buy a lot of clothing. I would like to hunt Montana some day but right now it is too far of a drive.

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

I'll trade you.  I'll help you out with archery deer/javelina and if I ever get the desire for an ocsellated turkey you can help me out. 

Just saw a TV show the ocsellated  turkey are down below Mexico, look like peacocks and have no beards and weird gobbles.. I know you meant oceolla, in Forida, justva little fun fact for the world slam.. 

Awesome you and your mom want to come out. Maybe take the rest of the year to plan and try 2021 when all this chit is over. Then get you a tag and take one of these great hunters up on there offer.. Your mom will thank you..  Can get lonely out here in the desert.

• Like 2

Just now, wildwoody said:

Just saw a TV show the ocsellated  turkey are down below Mexico, look like peacocks and have no beards and weird gobbles.. I know you meant oceolla, in Forida, justva little fun fact for the world slam.. 

Awesome you and your mom want to come out. Maybe take the rest of the year to plan and try 2021 when all this chit is over. Then get you a tag and take one of these great hunters up on there offer.. Your mom will thank you..  Can get lonely out here in the desert.

im not much of turkey guy.  Whatever that special one is in Florida, I'll trade him.  I helped a big time world hunter with the lighting in his trophy room and he had one of those central american turkeys, they're pretty cool looking. 

• Like 2

Sorry of I didnt make it clear, I want to hunt fall 2021/ January 2022. I graduate in june 2021. Right now im just gathering info so that I dont have to rush when it comes time to apply for tags

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ryan91027 said:

Sorry of I didnt make it clear, I want to hunt fall 2021/ January 2022. I graduate in june 2021. Right now im just gathering info so that I dont have to rush when it comes time to apply for tags

For draw tags your first two choices are the most important.  Make your first choice a hail mary and your second something more realistic.  Like Kaibab or 3c --1st and a desert unit or 27 your second choice.   

• Like 1

But he nonresident, he wants to hunt next year..  Someone hear has got to have the skinny.. Where's AZLance he knows about down south.. I got nothing

2 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

But he nonresident, he wants to hunt next year..  Someone hear has got to have the skinny.. Where's AZLance he knows about down south.. I got nothing

36c is on my MT Rushmore for big muley AZ units and my favorite place to hunt.  

• Like 2