Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

Swimming with the fish...

Thats some funny stuff!  I tell everyone in my boat, hold on to the rod, if I hear one splash, I better hear a second one .  Never saw that happen yet, but came close once when the rod bent at the reel mount when it was stuck in the rod holder.

When I seen the title I thought Maxwell committed suicide. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Thats some funny stuff!  I tell everyone in my boat, hold on to the rod, if I hear one splash, I better hear a second one .  Never saw that happen yet, but came close once when the rod bent at the reel mount when it was stuck in the rod holder.

When I was a kid I had one of my dad’s favorite rods separate from the handle...thought I was going to go swimming for it but then realized I still had hold of the reel...reeled the rod in along with the fish. LoL

As soon as I saw that rod bend, I figured it was a goliath grouper.  Its on my son's and my bucket list, but I told my skinny-little-turd son that we'd need five spotters to hold him in the boat!

• Like 1

Groupers are cool, that was one fish I was never allowed to catch or even try to catch while hand lining off an out rigger canoe in ChiChi jima Japan.

The guy I was staying with had only one rule dont fish for the brown ones, if you hook one cut the line. I was around 12.  that summer I lost 2 seperate fishign trips he took me home (to his house)and didnt speak to me both days.

the 1st time he told me I didnt listen. we were fishing and old WWII wreck. we were in his Outrigger canoe. for those who never fished hand lines it is something you should try. Anyhow I put a huge makrell on the huge hook( about the size of my hand) we were fishing at the time for Wahoo. you look through a glass into the water and can see a hundred or so feet down as the water was crystal clear. once you spot a fish you drop your line and bait. well those brown/black ones didnt look at that 100+ deep. so I let the line drop. soon as it came close boom fish on. I was jazzed. Willie kept asking me what color what color I said black. about that time I wrapped the line around the peg and it took all the slack and forced the boat kinda down. Then Wack, Willie and his big butt machete  came slamming down on the line. then the stern butt chewing let me fish the rest of the afternoon with very little talking. he made one mistake he took me to the pier on the way home to show me the fishing boats and why not to hook those colored fish. they were f'n huge as big as I was. I mean I was 12 you dont show a kid a huge fish as say NO. next day we went again. I hooked another one not telling him I hooked anything. but he knew cause as soon as I wrapped it around peg the machete made that wack again. took me home. next week I did it again but this time by accident ;)  heck I still have 2 more months on that island. he finally took me again what seemed like a life time but was 2 or 3 weeks. and we went 3 times a week after that for the rest of my stay.

The last day I caught a even bigger fish, a 3meter 2 centimeter Mackerel Shark me and one of willies relatives young guy was a cop on that island went out and set up bouyes with a semi dead goat for bait.

when My sister and I were baording the boat to leave, he comes sirens blazing grabs me and takes me to the shark. cool as shoot.

• Like 1

dang

even got a pic to prove it too.

Thats my sister and the guy behind her is the cop friend.

picture.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Delw said:

even got a pic to prove it too.

Thats my sister and the guy behind her is the cop friend.

picture.jpg

Cool pic and nice story on the hand lining...thanks for sharing. Reminds me of another post going around, maybe on YouTube, guy hooks a big grouper from a kayak and gets towed around by it. Fish almost as big as the kayak. 

I was fortunate when i was growing up. Dad let me do alot of things. Japan gave me plenty of opportunities when I was a kid as well as My father. I was able to do stuff most kids couldnt. we hunted and fished almost every single weekend In the summer I fished about everyday. at 10-12 I was taking the train or riding my bike to places with a friend to fish. Tokyo bay Yokohama had a huge pier/break that went way out and you could catch tuna lots of bottom fish etc etc. Saltwater freshwater, rivers lakes ponds in the Japanese gardens. one of my Favorite was the Rice patti irrigation canals, they had huge german browns 3-6 lbs. They were just little ditches so to speak too. we used the eels we caught in the rice patties for bait.

That org pic is my Favorite. I got some more somewhere put away from that trip but mostly sea turtles hatching and hundreds of  baby hammerheads swimming in the coves. the hammerheads were like 1-2 feet long andstayed in 3 feet of water in the white sand, people would just swim out there with them never got bothered. Crazy when I 1st got there as Jaws had just come out( at least on the navy base movie theater and I saw it 2 days before I left on the boat to get me to that island.