Kyle123

Unit 1 Turkeys

Got drawn for fall unit 1 Turkey in AZ. First time hunting Turkeys I'm planning on scouting, I've checked out huntscore and a few other sites for some tips on where to start. Anyone else have any other insight into the unit and where I should start? I'm not looking for honey holes I want to work for it. Don't roast me please lol

If you want to work for it and not get roasted, drive to the unit, put some boots on and walk around. Lots of turkeys and lots of country in unit 1. South of highway 60, west of NM line, north of highway 180 and east of the rez border is a good place to start

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Saw some birds west of greens peak last week.

Nature Bob kills chit up dare.

Sweet thanks

35 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

If you want to work for it and not get roasted, drive to the unit, put some boots on and walk around. Lots of turkeys and lots of country in unit 1. South of highway 60, west of NM line, north of highway 180 and east of the rez border is a good place to start

I'll be out there next weekend. I'm not familiar with the unit at all just was looking for some general areas I can look at on onyx and go from there. I'm far as xxxx away so wanted to do some escout so I don't waste all my gas, that unit was my last choice lol

I know it well . Had a cabin in Vernon in the 90's. I went on My own and put a lot of leather on the ground back then. It took me 3 years to call in My first Tom , and Kill Him. I only hunted the Fall a couple times . Its tougher I think. I would not find birds in the same places they were in the Spring for most part. I earned My wings the hard way( no pun intended) I have killed many birds there. I was lucky in the Draws and got like 18 out of 20 years ,Spring tags at one time. The Fall is fun, the Elk are still Buglin and you see some deer,and its squirl season I believe! I will probly warm up later ,but I would say find acorns and water and drainages! 

THey are in the Junipers too, But I like to hunt in the Pines and Aspen.  Take  a couple trips and even driving around You generally see them. Then You know they are using the area . I will give You some specifics later. Its early.  You will have Fun I learnt it on my own and You will too with a little time their. I have turned several guys on to it and got them hooked on Turkeys. Its a Blast...................BOB!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, naturebob said:

I know it well . Had a cabin in Vernon in the 90's. I went on My own and put a lot of leather on the ground back then. It took me 3 years to call in My first Tom , and Kill Him. I only hunted the Fall a couple times . Its tougher I think. I would not find birds in the same places they were in the Spring for most part. I earned My wings the hard way( no pun intended) I have killed many birds there. I was lucky in the Draws and got like 18 out of 20 years ,Spring tags at one time. The Fall is fun, the Elk are still Buglin and you see some deer,and its squirl season I believe! I will probly warm up later ,but I would say find acorns and water and drainages! 

THey are in the Junipers too, But I like to hunt in the Pines and Aspen.  Take  a couple trips and even driving around You generally see them. Then You know they are using the area . I will give You some specifics later. Its early.  You will have Fun I learnt it on my own and You will too with a little time their. I have turned several guys on to it and got them hooked on Turkeys. Its a Blast...................BOB!

Appreciate it I'm excited to learn a new unit. It's definitely going to be an interesting week

• Like 1

I hunted elk around Canero Lk last Dec, saw numerous turkeys daily. Had one flock feeding within 50' of me. You should have no problem tagging out.

• Like 1

I killed my first turkey 30 years ago not far from Greens Peak on a Spring Hunt. I went up on thursday and the wife and kids came up friday afternoon. We slept in the back of my truck in the camper shell and the kids, 1.5 and 2.5 slept in the minni van. They left Sunday and I shot a Jake the next morning.

• Like 2

Saw a bunch Saturday near Haygrounds 

• Like 1

Any update on Unit 1?

I also got drawn for unit 1. I've never been to this unit before as I have never hunted in AZ. I Scouted for 2 days both on foot and by vehicle. I was told by a friend to try the Big Lake area...

I went all through this area. I did find some springs and little pockets of water, but no sign of turkey. On my way to unit 1 i saw a group of gobblers (7) on native land just outside of unit 1.

I went to the west fork camp ground, black river lands, and back up through mogollon rim trial... I saw nothing.

Any suggestions, or tips?