IA Born

Lee's Ferry Walk In Question

21 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Anyone ever float lees ferry in a kayak or canoe?  I was thinking of getting hauled up there and fishing/ camping the way back.  Wanted to make sure it was somewhat safe, as I was gonna have my 12 year old son with me, he bought himself a fishing yak.  

I did this with a few buddies about 6 years ago.  It was a great trip that the wife and I are now planning on doing with some friends.  We rented kayaks here in town (Phx) hauled them up there and had the hauling service to take us up to the base of the dam.  Took our time coming down the river, fishing and camping along the way for 3 days.  You can do it quicker but we had it planned for those 3 days to enjoy it.  Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bojangles said:

Anyone ever float lees ferry in a kayak or canoe?  I was thinking of getting hauled up there and fishing/ camping the way back.  Wanted to make sure it was somewhat safe, as I was gonna have my 12 year old son with me, he bought himself a fishing yak.  

This is some of the most dangerous water in AZ due to the cold water temps.  Might want to reconsider.  

• Like 2

re: the Paria walk-in, it’s usually legit. Be very careful if you cross what looks like packed sand where the Paria dumps in,  it can turn into quicksand mud very quickly. I went thigh deep in the mud once in the winter and had to have my buddy pull me out. I’m not sure I would’ve gotten out by myself. Also in that stretch in my experience there are as many fish within 10 feet of the bank is there are if you wade out 15 to 20 yards. Fish that hard before you make your way into the wider, deeper runs. 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:29 AM, Big Tub said:

This is some of the most dangerous water in AZ due to the cold water temps.  Might want to reconsider.  

I’m pretty sure chicks paddle board there. 

On 7/21/2020 at 11:56 AM, Roosevelt Mark said:

Ya, don't fall in, water is in the 30's

It’s more like 50-53 right now and I don’t think it ever goes below 45. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Thats correct. Check the USGS gauge for Lees Ferry if you need numbers for flows out of Glen Canyon.

You boys seem to imply it is not dangerously cold.

t becomes very dangerous in water temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees. You lose the ability to control breathing in this temperature range, according to the National Center for Cold Water Safety. ... In addition, depending on the water temperature, you can lose the ability to use your hands in one minute.May 3, 2018

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/2018-05-03-dangerous-early-season-cold-water

On 7/21/2020 at 10:29 AM, Big Tub said:

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m pretty sure chicks paddle board there. 

2 hours ago, Big Tub said:

You boys seem to imply it is not dangerously cold.

t becomes very dangerous in water temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees. You lose the ability to control breathing in this temperature range, according to the National Center for Cold Water Safety. ... In addition, depending on the water temperature, you can lose the ability to use your hands in one minute.May 3, 2018

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/2018-05-03-dangerous-early-season-cold-water

While "dangerous," there are indeed a hundred "chicks" and dudes and kids paddle boarding and kayaking down the 50+F river every few days. Use the buddy system and don't be stupid and it is a spectacle everyone should enjoy. 

20190712_085946.thumb.jpg.f76ccd25810bbb685ce577227f66746c.jpg

• Like 7

On 7/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, IA Born said:

I've fly fished the walk-in area once, last Father's Day (2019) and didn't have much luck, but it was also my first time and more of an exploratory trip.  We fished the Paria Riffle mostly, with no luck, and saw another parking are north of there, but south of the boat ramp.  We fished a little just below the boat ramp, but its tough to get any kind of good back casts in with a fly rod.  I hooked too many trees and couldn't get out far enough shallow enough to avoid the trees below the ramp.  I'm thinking its time to get out of the house again and head north for a morning of fishing on a day off.  Any recommendations?  Is there a trail that leads to good fishing up above the boat ramp?  I know there's a trail that takes you part way to a cabin or something like that (wasn't really paying too close attention).  Can you hike further up from the boat ramp, around that bend and fish?  Maybe I just don't know how to fish the Paria Riffle area, but I was hoping for smoother, slower water, especially with my son wading with me.  You've heard me mention him before; he's the skinny little turd that has to dance around in the shower to get wet!

I fish both the walk-in and upriver often. Back hauling has become very lucrative, so there are many competing outfitters. I’ve seen countless children floating down in canoes and kayaks and do not consider it a dangerous activity. The wind can really screw with you, but you just have to wait it out. 

Specific to the walk-in, it’s big water and can be frustrating. April and May are usually better than June, July, or August. The fall can be good as well! You need a good set of waders and to be able to effectively wait in position. Most importantly, make sure your flies are in the strike zone. This is the biggest trout river we have in the state and a great place to fish streamers with a sink tip! Spey or roll style casts will keep your back cast out of the bushes. I’ve tried a lot of flies in the river, but an olive crystal bugger always produces. The usual nymph rig works well too, just make sure it’s getting down to where the trout feed! 

888F7BD5-05C6-44BD-8B76-46D227C40E09.jpeg

• Like 3

Used to work up there doing fish surveying . A few people would ask shuttle up on the tour boats after they dropped everyone off at the boat ramp. I think it might have cost them a 12 pack and maybe 20 bucks , this was 5 years ago so it may run a little more.

2004-2005 i was a grocery rep going to marble canyon lodge and store.  several invites but i was spoiled by a 1976 trip w Mike Pock, Frank Kush and Bob Hirsch and his boys.  bass boats, ambassadeur reels and half the trout we caught were over 5lbs.  azgfd says its not their fault but i doubt that-of course all those biologists are way smarter than this AZ redneck.  at least the scenery is still good.

lee

• Like 1