muledeerarea33?

Muzzy bullets for elk

15 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

How far, what gun, and load? Sorry for all the questions but I’m finding out this internet thing takes the “encyclopedia” factor out of things. Turns it into a dictionary instead.

Gun is t/c pro hunter with 110gr of blackhorn 209 and the 290tez and cci magnum primer.  First bull was 100yds bullet on left. Second bull was 215 yds bullet on right. Both stopped opposite shoulder under the hides. I even found the tip on the second bull. Neither went farther than 40yds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZkiller said:

I have a pile of 50cal PR bullets if you want to try some

Does your buddy still live up the road from me? If so heck yeah I’ll try them! If not, I’ll pay shipping and beer money.

18 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Does your buddy still live up the road from me? If so heck yeah I’ll try them! If not, I’ll pay shipping and beer money.

Where are you?

The Barnes work great, and are accurate.  I shoot a Knight, my  buddies both shoot CVA, and my daughter has a TC.   Tight groups from all three brands with the 250 gr. and 100 grains of friple 7.  I have the Buckhorn powder, but haven't had a chance to play with it.  We put down three elk last year  with this set up,  none went more. than 50 yards. a few years back I took my antelope at 237 yards and 12 ringed him. I tried the Shockwaves and SSTs but didn't get the same accuracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

The Barnes work great, and are accurate.  I shoot a Knight, my  buddies both shoot CVA, and my daughter has a TC.   Tight groups from all three brands with the 250 gr. and 100 grains of friple 7.  I have the Buckhorn powder, but haven't had a chance to play with it.  We put down three elk last year  with this set up,  none went more. than 50 yards. a few years back I took my antelope at 237 yards and 12 ringed him. I tried the Shockwaves and SSTs but didn't get the same accuracy.

I sighted in with Barnes today. Did fairly well. Different experience all together than the old round ball and patch I’m used to. Damaged one bullet, I think I started crooked so I unscrewed the breech plug and pushed it out (which was nice!!) I need to find another starter rod that doesn’t mar up the polymer tip bullets. The tips are fine but on the one I pushed out I saw the jacket had deep grooves from the seater.

Barnes has a bullet starter specifically designed to prevent that.

• Like 1

When you get it all dialed in, I would replicate a hunting scenario, shoot it and then leave it how you would prior to the hunt (clean or one patch clean however you are doing that).  Load it up a day or two later and then take it out and shoot it about 3-4 days later when you get a chance.   This is where I’ve found BH209 to shine.  The water based powders to great at the range when you have a system of shot, patch swab, shot or even shot shot shot but when left to stand for a few days the residue in the bore changes and it’ll make your POI change when it actually comes down to it.  If you can get your gun to shoot well on a truly cleaned barrel that’s the best as that eliminates the residue issue.  My problem is I always find they shoot best on a single patch swabbed barrel or even a dirty barrel for a few shots.  

• Like 1

2 yrs ago I killed a bull with my Rem700 .50 cal shooting 250 grain Barnes MZ bullets in front of 120Grains of Blackhorn 209 ignited by a CCI 209 primer 
coming out of muzzle at 2270 fps it hit the bull at 95 yds right behind the shoulder took out both lungs and he dropped like the carpet was pulled from under him. 
also as one suggested use the Barnes bullet starter to not mar the tip. 
works great. 
I found my bullet which looked like the one a few posts above under the hide on the opposite side. 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:34 PM, muledeerarea33? said:

Near benson. Think your buddy worked for the power plant? I sold you some powder years ago and dropped it off with him.

That was me.