Nickflag

Delete

15 hours ago, yotebuster said:

How bout some pics of this buck!!  I dunno why but I have a fetish for killing stuff on the edge of places I can hunt.  It scares a lot of people away to hunt small public tracts, edges of NF, checkerboard etc.  I like the extra work it takes in the preseason and love the satisfaction I get from it!!  I rattled an eastern whitetail in from 1000 yards out on a refuge here in ND.  The second he hopped the boundary fence I planted him in his tracks.  

20190819_112846.thumb.jpg.2e4a63603eaa20b3047aa3a48eb7be14.jpg20190818_161350.thumb.jpg.ea284b49f86e37f8c5b2d7353c9c98a6.jpg

• Like 2

Like others have said, you have to download maps of the areas you're going to hunt if you're not going to have reception out there.  That's the only thing I don't like about OnX.  A friend got me a subscription as a thank you gift a couple of years ago, or I wouldn't have it.  The more I use it, the more I like it.  My wife and son both have accounts now, too, thanks to a connection with NWTF/OnX and we can keep track of each other while out shed hunting, hiking, or mountain biking by sharing points.  I like the "share waypoint" feature of OnX, too.  My close friends and I share points with each other all the time.  I like the boundaries, water, land management/ownership features as well, like others have said.  I also like the aerial feature, especially when I have the hybrid aeria/top feature turned on.  Topography is just as important, if not more so, than aerial in my humble opinion.

I also have Flatline Maps with Avenza. I like those because they automatically work in airplane mode without having to download extras.  They have great aerial and land ownership, as well as roads.  The topo features on Flatline are great.  The biggest drawback to Flatline for me is that you have pay for every unit map you buy and you can't share waypoints.  I frequently bounce back and forth between my Flatline and OnX when I'm out hunting, hiking, and mountain biking. 

Its hard to beat the $30 annual subscription (or whatever it is) for OnX, though.  

On 7/9/2020 at 6:43 PM, yotebuster said:

I would say AZ is the least necessary place, but still very necessary.  I killed a couple antelope in 19a and that checkboard mess, wouldn’t have wanted to do that hunt without it.  I also killed some pigs in 21 that were real close to private that I had to skirt around.  Came in handy there.  In NM it’s an absolute must have.  Those ranchers will just shoot you if they catch you on their ground.  

+1 on yotebuster's comments.  I started using OnX a few years ago when my sons and I started hunting pronghorn in NM.   Hugely valuable there!!!  (Lance, I recognize that spot! 😉 )   

For AZ, definitely don't need or use it as much, but I was fortunate to draw a bison tag this year and it has been a little helpful with National Park vs. Kiabab forest boundary identification while scouting.  Yes, there is supposed to be a fence and markers, but along a fairly significant portion of the border it is not 100% clear.

Anyway, BIG thumbs-up for OnX from me!

S.

• Like 1

Its very handy for swapping way points with other people who have it. I also like knowing the name of the property owners, but other than that I much prefer using backcountry navigator pro. It does everything that onx does except tell me landowner names. I kind of hate onx's map. Maybe I can change it i haven't tried, but backcountry navigator has tons of maps to choose from. Backcountry navigator is a one time purchase and each layer you decide to purchase is also a one time purchase. I also prefer navigating to way points and recording tracks on backcountry navigator as well. It completely removes the need to use a handheld GPS ever. For me, onx doesn't do that. Apparently I'm the minority here l, which isn't surprising. Onx seems to have taken over the west by storm. 

I started using it a couple of years ago and will continue unless something a lot better comes out.  
Camofire puts it on sale for $17.99 quite often. 

One thing that I use it for is marking exact trail cam locations.  It might be just me, but the things are hard to find months later.  I started marking where I’m parked or camped if Im going in pretty deep and could be coming out in the dark.  Saves some walking.  

Sharing locations with other OnX users can come in handy if you spot something. If I find a new spot, I’ll drop some pins along the way out so it’s easy to get back there later.  

For around $20 a year, well worth it. 

I not only use it for hunting, I use it for prospecting and looking at real estate.

Probably like the OnX more than the OnXTrail but they suckered me into using both.

Personally, OnX is a necessity. It's become more or less my hunting journal where I can keep everything of interest and have it all in one place. I.E. - water (dry or not, timestamp), critters seen (again what time of the year), bedding areas, trail camera placements, attach photos to waypoints, tracking feature when shed hunting, the list goes on-and-on. Then there are helpful features that show trails, trail heads and roads, private and public land, water catchments, burn areas, campsites, etc.

Like @Edge mentioned. It's also a great tool for real estate. I've used it to track down landowners on many occasions.

Compared to Basemaps, I definitely would give OnX the win despite the slightly higher cost. It's more user friendly, quicker to toggle between layers, has helpful features that I found lacking in Basemaps such as trail steepness and I prefer their topo map. 

23 minutes ago, high rise hunter said:

Personally, OnX is a necessity. It's become more or less my hunting journal where I can keep everything of interest and have it all in one place. I.E. - water (dry or not, timestamp), critters seen (again what time of the year), bedding areas, trail camera placements, attach photos to waypoints, tracking feature when shed hunting, the list goes on-and-on. Then there are helpful features that show trails, trail heads and roads, private and public land, water catchments, burn areas, campsites, etc.

Like @Edge mentioned. It's also a great tool for real estate. I've used it to track down landowners on many occasions.

Compared to Basemaps, I definitely would give OnX the win despite the slightly higher cost. It's more user friendly, quicker to toggle between layers, has helpful features that I found lacking in Basemaps such as trail steepness and I prefer their topo map. 

Sounds like you use way more features than I do on it. Guess I’ll have to explore the app a bit more now.

2 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Here is one unit worth of water sources.

How nice is that?

295558986_Screenshot_20200717-181605_onXHunt.thumb.jpg.f6c3594d09a563de5c7d386a1393c79e.jpg

The way my mind works, that seems like more of a pain because the majority of those are dry right?

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

The way my mind works, that seems like more of a pain because the majority of those are dry right?

They vary depending on time of year, and year itself.  I change the ones that have water to blue during scouting.

• Like 1

I needed it bad last year in Colorado and got after 1 day of hunted ,made a big difference Really helped. I could see it for N. Mexico, Wyoming & Montana to . Going to get it for Arizona this week......................BOB!

• Like 1