JimmyO

19B Deer tag

Made a clerical error when applying for the deer season and drew Unit 19B instead of Unit 23.  I can only guess that 1038 became a 1030 on entry.  Anyhow, I have 0 experience in this unit.  The hunt is 250 tags any antlered deer.  Would appreciate any tidbits or words of wisdom where to make contact.  I’m no city slicker and grew up in Chandler since 1975.  I hear it’s a great unit for Antelope but need deer info.  Thanks in advance and feel free to give me some ribbin’ if you leave a tip.  

That's a great mule deer unit. Have seen nice  non-typical bucks all over that unit. I cannot recall a single predator hunting trip where I didn't see bucks. Have a friend who's wife got a 4x7 out of that unit. Hiked in about 2 miles. 8 bucks at first light. Her buck was second largest in herd. Quick hunt. He almost got trampled by a 5x5 elk on the packout.  

Scouting is key. Tons and tons of private land, but that pumps out tons of old bucks like crazy into the public land. 

Way more big mule deer in that unit vs 23. Just lots of access issues though. 

• Like 1

I’d rather have 19B than 23 mule deer everyday. My biggest set of sheds came from near the yavapai ranch.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, JimmyO said:

Made a clerical error when applying for the deer season and drew Unit 19B instead of Unit 23.  I can only guess that 1038 became a 1030 on entry.  Anyhow, I have 0 experience in this unit.  The hunt is 250 tags any antlered deer.  Would appreciate any tidbits or words of wisdom where to make contact.  I’m no city slicker and grew up in Chandler since 1975.  I hear it’s a great unit for Antelope but need deer info.  Thanks in advance and feel free to give me some ribbin’ if you leave a tip.  

I've seen big bucks crossing the road on 89 in Paulden right at dusk multiple times leaving my buddy's house.

Coming back from Williams last October there was an absolutely ginormous buck laying against the guardrail

on the 19B side of HWY 89 about 4 miles past Paulden. I would have stopped but I had the camper with me.

Lots of juniper in the area but there are monster bucks there too. You shouldn't have to venture to far off the hwy to find one.

• Like 1