Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

8 minutes ago, Heat said:

Got my 4 fish. Sneak preview, full report coming...

IMG_0987.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!    Outstanding, Nick!!!

• Like 2

The blues are off the hook right now. My couans and brother in law are stoked for Saturdays trip, solid 6 pack of good sticks.

• Like 2

Had a less than stellar 2.5 day last weekend out of HM on a relatively new boat, the Excaliber. Capt has been around forever and it had OK reviews on Bloody Decks, but things were off from top to bottom.  Disorganized crew that didn’t seem to care and it showed in the counts, 12 BFT and a few YT for 27 anglers on two full days of fishing. I was one of the lucky ones, but I won’t fish the boat again...the operation was sloppy. 

F52484CA-AF62-44CF-92B6-FF50E1CF5B02.jpeg

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Siwash said:

Had a less than stellar 2.5 day last weekend out of HM on a relatively new boat, the Excaliber. Capt has been around forever and it had OK reviews on Bloody Decks, but things were off from top to bottom.  Disorganized crew that didn’t seem to care and it showed in the counts, 12 BFT and a few YFT for 27 anglers on two full days of fishing. I was one of the lucky ones, but I won’t fish the boat again...the operation was sloppy. 

You represented for AZ good work 

2 hours ago, Siwash said:

Had a less than stellar 2.5 day last weekend out of HM on a relatively new boat, the Excaliber. Capt has been around forever and it had OK reviews on Bloody Decks, but things were off from top to bottom.  Disorganized crew that didn’t seem to care and it showed in the counts, 12 BFT and a few YFT for 27 anglers on two full days of fishing. I was one of the lucky ones, but I won’t fish the boat again...the operation was sloppy. 

F52484CA-AF62-44CF-92B6-FF50E1CF5B02.jpeg

Nice fish, It sucks when captain or crew say it will tough etc.  I didnt pay to hear that, be positive.

I had arrived really early to the Commander, which the owners tried to sink for insurance, it all on BD.  The crew let me board amd store my gear early, so we BSd, i asked why you all rewrapping all the gafs, did you kill it last night? Nope, no fish, bad mojo, hasnt been good etc... i should have grabbed my stuff and left, only 1.5 day trip, caight nothing but a buzz and full belly of food, nonody on the boat got a bite or landed. Nad.

It is is fishing, but now i see why that boat sucked and they tried to sink it 

• Like 1

side note I was out at the channel islands harbour near Ciscosa landing in Ventura county, and boats brought in decent few yellowtails.  No BFT or YFT yet this far north.

I fish a lot out of here amd go to the Channel islads, rock fish, YT are nice grade, calico bass are super fun, and its close to my family place, so easy trips.

Congrats on your fish Siwash. Thats a bummer on the Excalibur. There were like 6 or 7 CWT on that boat again yesterday. I hope they had a better trip and you have a better one next time.

3 hours ago, Heat said:

Congrats on your fish Siwash. Thats a bummer on the Excalibur. There were like 6 or 7 CWT on that boat again yesterday. I hope they had a better trip and you have a better one next time.

Yes, the counts from the trip a few days earlier were solid...but another angler on the boat said he fished it in June and outside of the captain the entire crew was new...more than one person broached their frustrations directly to the captain on the trip. It was a was bad. For example: 

multiple times multiple anglers had to ask the deckhands to refill the bait tanks on stops...routinely there were 2-3 dead baits floating in the tanks

the deckhands never chummed bait on boiling fish...and the captain drove OVER breezers, pushing them down...

we moved around a lot...the capt gave like 30 seconds notice and we were all fishing deep and several people on several stops got tangled when we motored and they had lines 100+ yards out. 

If you are new to SoCal fishing and see stuff like that speak up, its not normal and it will kill the trip. 

Hope the other guys on the boat fare better this week.

• Like 3

Well every one of us 7 cwt thought the world of Capt Patrick & the decks.  They worked hard & fast trying to get pickles and the birthday boy a fish.  And the #2skipper was Mr. Ben Griffith-running sd boats since 1959.  If there were sour notes at all I did not hear them 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heat said:

Siwash was Chuck the Captain or Joel? 

Chuck. I believe his son was running the Legend  Sunday...they put 20 or so BFT on a day trip on Sunday and called our boat in on it at the tail end, we got a similar call from the Glory Hole too that day...I am not saying the capt didnt try hard I am saying his crew did not work together well on this trip. 

BFT can be finicky, suffered similar fates on more than one trip over the years, but we were on schools all day, particularly Saturday, and a lack of quality bait (which mysteriously became awesome Sunday, they decided to break out the good stuff, WTF?) coupled with deckhands that didnt chum to keep the school engaged made a tough bite even tougher. 

Fishing is fishing and I have done it a lot from MX to AK  with good success but along the way I’ve had plenty of days with nothing to show for it but a sore back and when I was younger a wicked hangover...low counts on the Excalibur aside the overall experience was really poor last weekend and I will probably never get back on the boat as a result of it, which is a shame because the boat rides well and at its  price point it has decent bunks, several state rooms and the heads are pretty nice, No marble sack for your nuts required.

• Like 1

Where was every fishing, coronado islands, SCI, looks like the fleet right now is on the 381 and 81 off SCI.  Red rooster, searcher, intrepid, royal Polaris.

Screenshot_20200729-135906_Chrome.jpg