Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

Well every one of us 7 cwt thought the world of Capt Patrick & the decks.  They worked hard & fast trying to get pickles and the birthday boy a fish.  And the #2skipper was Mr. Ben Griffith-running sd boats since 1959.  If there were sour notes at all I did not hear them 

What 

13 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Post deleted, questions answered.

Yep,  open party And to your point the trip was meals included and like any good angler I’m at the rail at 5 AM in the dark. We didn’t get dinner on both days until after 830pm which is not cool if you’re up fishing before dawn. The chow was acceptable but not good, And it’s not like the cook was busy helping people during a wide-open bite. He mostly sat and played solitaire by himself in the Galley from 530 until eight.

7 hours ago, n2horns said:

Where was every fishing, coronado islands, SCI, looks like the fleet right now is on the 381 and 81 off SCI.  Red rooster, searcher, intrepid, royal Polaris.

Screenshot_20200729-135906_Chrome.jpg

we fished the entire trip on 30-50lb bft about 20 miles outside the coronados'-i will swear i saw a bassboat!

lee

12 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

What 

catfishkev wife is fishin' nut pickles-cried after losing her 5th bft and their son turned 16 on the trip.  kev got a tuna.

lee

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

catfishkev wife is fishin' nut pickles-cried after losing her 5th bft and son turned 16 on the trip.  kev got a tuna.

lee

were you there?

• Like 2

Rincon beach. Day off in the sun and surf.

20200730_103818.jpg

• Like 1

The sinker rig is legit! I think your odds of getting one of those bigger fish gets better if you can get your sardine way down there.

• Like 1

Well that was a fun trip. Thanks to Lee for throwing out the invite. Lee ended up getting a different ride with a friend. Myself, Pickles (Brandy)  and my oldest boy Auggie joined up with Ohthatguy "Jeff" and his brother Bill.  After a few pms, phone calls and texts regarding gear I was a bit overwhelmed but narrowed it down. Spent way more then I wanted to because Lee made me too scared to roll with too cheap of gear. In the end, I find it ironic that I feel like I spent too much but honestly compared to what really good gear cost I didnt spend all that much. Kind of crazy that a $500 Rod and pole set up is still considered only marginal. Thats tuna I guess. Im still happy to be geared up though and ready for the next trip.  

Once in Maricopa we all piled in the suburban and headed out.  Ironically, while stopping in Yuma to get gas and wondering why the heck anyone would want to live in such a God forsaken place with such sweltering heat I get a phone call from... you guessed it... Heat!  He gave me a quick rundown of his trip, sounded pretty dang excited and it seemed like he was still pretty Jacked.  Congrats on your successful trip Nick!  Sorry we couldn't catch up on our way back through town, maybe next time.  

Anyway, we continued on and spent the time getting to know Jeff and Bill, we berated them with question after question about what to expect, what do do etc.  It was an enjoyable ride.  Jeff did have some suggestions on my gear and how to be better prepared.  Knowing Lee and Jeff were gonna be on this trip honestly was a huge sigh of relief.   I was green and I knew it.  Having guys there to answer questions and have some guidance took the whole fear factor out of the equation for me.  Doing something new can be scary, doing something new after spending more money than you can afford is even scarier.   

Anyway, we rolled in about 4pm, scored a primo parking spot and went right to get some fish tacos. The food was pretty good, it was exciting just to see some saltwater. Lee headed over and we all got to meet him and his GalPal face to face for the first time then our little congregate got broken up by the fish Nazis for crowding the area. 

Fast forward to boat boarding.  Man, me Brandy and Auggie were standing there looking reeeaaaalll brand new. Fishing rods all loose, holding pillows and shoot looking like a bunch of total noobs. Meanwhile Jeff and Bill standing there with there big ole duffel bags looking like they done this shoot before.  

Once we board we get our stuff packed in. Thanks to Jeff's foresight, he suggested I call and play the wife card to try and get a state room. Well we did, of course when I saw it I was surprised it's called a state room. More like a janitors closet, but I'm still, thankful for a bit of privacy for momma. 

Once settled I head to the bow to poke around and catch Lee and start the BS talk.  Before bed we listen to caps instructions for the next day. Pickles right now is like "good Lord, what's up with his feet? Cap is wearing flip flops with straight up black fish gut toes. Is That a mushroom growing right there???  Then we start prepping gear for the next morning. We politely tolerate the irritating drunk guy tell everyone basically how great he is and how we are mostly peasants.  For the sake of anonymity let's call this guy Frank.  After about 38 seconds Pickles had enough and went to bed.  As soon as I tied everything I headed to bed. Got terrible sleep for 20 minutes only to hear "Frank", wake up his daughter (That he supposedly had to pay  $1000 just to get her to come fish with him) all drunk giving her crap for being asleep.  What a turd.

Fast forward, awake and asleep at the same time,  dreading the alarm because I know I need more. Alarm goes off and we've never stopped being on the run.  I keep hitting the snooze waiting for the captain to make an announcementor for the engine to turn off. 

Up on deck now waiting for the boat to stop. Dammit! How the fuk is "Frank" still awake? He must have the same coke dealer as trphyhntr.  Seeking Seems to go on forever, finally he says fish under the boat. NADA!  Yup, that word defines our morning.  Every time we stop, I hook pickles and Auggie with bait, go get one for myself and fish for a minute then hand off to them and take theirs to get fresh bait. Spent a good part of the morning just trying to constantly keep their bait fresh and plunking or casting a bird nest here and there. Like a grade A dipshit I cut my line after I couldn't undo the nest. In my rush and inexperience it didn't even occur to me to pull my coltsniper in by hand.  Its about 20 miles south of the Coranado on the ocean floor now.  Dont worry, Jeff smacked the stupid out of me.  

Later in the day Lee yells "Kev come here" dude gave me his fish muck boots. Really nice ones with a steel toe. Thanks Lee!

Oh and By the way, dudes name really was Frank, screw that guys anonymity.   

• Like 2

So we ended up with 20 pounds of meat. Not sure what the fish weighed but I think it was around 37" and was 35-40 pounds. What say you? 

20200729_205208.thumb.jpg.bc35197572f7e29979ad8c5f24a915e4.jpg20200727_193317.thumb.jpg.abe8dad88f07243ab0500294ce0222c4.jpg20200729_185630.thumb.jpg.78e326795a44c4b236036603b85121f4.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Well that was a fun trip. Thanks to Lee for throwing out the invite. Lee ended up getting a different ride with a friend. Myself, Pickles (Brandy)  and my oldest boy Auggie joined up with Ohthatguy "Jeff" and his brother Bill.  After a few pms, phone calls and texts regarding gear I was a bit overwhelmed but narrowed it down. Spent way more then I wanted to because Lee made me too scared to roll with too cheap of gear. In the end, I find it ironic that I feel like I spent too much but honestly compared to what really good gear cost I didnt spend all that much. Kind of crazy that a $500 Rod and pole set up is still considered only marginal. Thats tuna I guess. Im still happy to be geared up though and ready for the next trip.  

Once in Maricopa we all piled in the suburban and headed out.  Ironically, while stopping in Yuma to get gas and wondering why the heck anyone would want to live in such a God forsaken place with such sweltering heat I get a phone call from... you guessed it... Heat!  He gave me a quick rundown of his trip, sounded pretty dang excited and it seemed like he was still pretty Jacked.  Congrats on your successful trip Nick!  Sorry we couldn't catch up on our way back through town, maybe next time.  

Anyway, we continued on and spent the time getting to know Jeff and Bill, we berated them with question after question about what to expect, what do do etc.  It was an enjoyable ride.  Jeff did have some suggestions on my gear and how to be better prepared.  Knowing Lee and Jeff were gonna be on this trip honestly was a huge sigh of relief.   I was green and I knew it.  Having guys there to answer questions and have some guidance took the whole fear factor out of the equation for me.  Doing something new can be scary, doing something new after spending more money than you can afford is even scarier.   

Anyway, we rolled in about 4pm, scored a primo parking spot and went right to get some fish tacos. The food was pretty good, it was exciting just to see some saltwater. Lee headed over and we all got to meet him and his GalPal face to face for the first time then our little congregate got broken up by the fish Nazis for crowding the area. 

Fast forward to boat boarding.  Man, me Brandy and Auggie were standing there looking reeeaaaalll brand new. Fishing rods all loose, holding pillows and shoot looking like a bunch of total noobs. Meanwhile Jeff and Bill standing there with there big ole duffel bags looking like they done this shoot before.  

Once we board we get our stuff packed in. Thanks to Jeff's foresight, he suggested I call and play the wife card to try and get a state room. Well we did, of course when I saw it I was surprised it's called a state room. More like a janitors closet, but I'm still, thankful for a bit of privacy for momma. 

Once settled I head to the bow to poke around and catch Lee and start the BS talk.  Before bed we listen to caps instructions for the next day. Pickles right now is like "good Lord, what's up with his feet? Cap is wearing flip flops with straight up black fish gut toes. Is That a mushroom growing right there???  Then we start prepping gear for the next morning. We politely tolerate the irritating drunk guy tell everyone basically how great he is and how we are mostly peasants.  For the sake of anonymity let's call this guy Frank.  After about 38 seconds Pickles had enough and went to bed.  As soon as I tied everything I headed to bed. Got terrible sleep for 20 minutes only to hear "Frank", wake up his daughter (That he supposedly had to pay  $1000 just to get her to come fish with him) all drunk giving her crap for being asleep.  What a turd.

Fast forward, awake and asleep at the same time,  dreading the alarm because I know I need more. Alarm goes off and we've never stopped being on the run.  I keep hitting the snooze waiting for the captain to make an announcementor for the engine to turn off. 

Up on deck now waiting for the boat to stop. Dammit! How the fuk is "Frank" still awake? He must have the same coke dealer as trphyhntr.  Seeking Seems to go on forever, finally he says fish under the boat. NADA!  Yup, that word defines our morning.  Every time we stop, I hook pickles and Auggie with bait, go get one for myself and fish for a minute then hand off to them and take theirs to get fresh bait. Spent a good part of the morning just trying to constantly keep their bait fresh and plunking or casting a bird nest here and there. Like a grade A dipshit I cut my line after I couldn't undo the nest. In my rush and inexperience it didn't even occur to me to pull my coltsniper in by hand.  Its about 20 miles south of the Coranado on the ocean floor now.  Dont worry, Jeff smacked the stupid out of me.  

Later in the day Lee yells "Kev come here" dude gave me his fish muck boots. Really nice ones with a steel toe. Thanks Lee!

Oh and By the way, dudes name really was Frank, screw that guys anonymity.   

Why you gotta Throw my name in though when I ain’t into that stuff. 

14 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Why you gotta Throw my name in though when I ain’t into that stuff. 

Just trying to grab a laugh. No harm intended.  But really, not into that stuff? You should check it out its pretty fun.  I know a guy if interested, names Frank.