Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

1 hour ago, Siwash said:

BFT limits on a Red Rooster 3 day and a ton of quality YT. Fished near Tanner Bank and Cortes. 

BC4D82E1-8E0B-4C98-978D-FB4CA99D2E18.jpeg

Nice man!

8 hours ago, biglakejake said:

sure.  go get them.  guaranteed plenty of elbow room.  if the boat can sell enough tickets to pay for gas and not cancel.  

lee

The boats are full on seaforth sport fishing...

3 hours ago, n2horns said:

If anyone wants good snips for braid, i use this model.  Braid ruins all side cutters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091JSFSA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_yluBmnMXAnGxs

These are fantastic for braid. +1 on Boomerang snips. I'm a fan of the ones with a bit longer shears to help snip off any leftover leader from the albright knot if it's catching when spooling out line....happens from time to time.

OH My!!  why didn't i think of this!  i never use a rod belt because i need the socket below mid thigh-the proper standup 'power triangle'.  this is the ticket and works with gimbaled and smooth rodbutts.  i may never get to use one but i'm buying a couple anyway!

gimbal.jpg.c1ae2c5044f4bb1a1041ea408537a695.jpg

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

The boats are full

ok.  without good annual tuna numbers owners go bankrupt.  dodo and yellows don't pay the bills for a 100 boat tuna fleet.  but when sd dock totals break 1,000 tuna/day tens of thousands of phones start ringing all over the southwest.  thats the bomb baby..................when the bite is on and you can't find a ride you go to the docks with your gear and tell each landing you are ready to go and when you get a call that a boat has come on line you hustle to the ticket window.  they don't call them cattleboats for nothing.  sponsored trips don't need fish counts to sell out-its a bling thing.

lee

https://seaforth.fishingreservations.net/sales/?trip_filter[]=5&trip_filter[]=1025&trip_filter[]=6&trip_filter[]=1026&trip_filter[]=7&trip_filter[]=1027&trip_filter[]=8&trip_filter[]=1024&trip_filter[]=1037&month_filter=&mode=table&submit=Search+Now

That's funny Jake. The fleet have already caught over the average count of bluefin for the year and they sat at the dock for months with this virus crap going on. If they were on the water from March through May there would probably have been record numbers of bluefin caught this year. The big months for the warm water exotics hasn't even started yet really. September and October are the high months for yellowfin historically. I don't see what the doom and gloom is about. Tuna are the main show in town but they aren't the only show in town. If a boat goes bankrupt this year it's not because the fishing is bad that's for sure!

On 8/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Heat said:

A couple of the Penn Fathom Lever Drag 2 speeds are on sale on Amazon at the moment. 15 and 30 sizes. Very tempting with the 30 but I got a bit better deal on my 40N, so I am going to hold out hope that it will drop a tad more, otherwise no biggy. Either way it is still a great deal on a reel that is one of the best reels you can buy for the money at regular price. The 30 would make a great 30-60# (maybe sweet spot 50#) offshore reel for bluefin and other large pelagics. The 15 is a sweet little reel but I think I would rather have the star drag in that size. Pretty sure the star might have more drag.

Just came back yesterday after the 1.5 day'er with the Relentless crew. 21 of us have chartered with these guys 4 years in a row and the last two years we had YF and BF Tunas 25-30 lbs fighters. This year apparently the Tuna just aren't biting within range of the 10 knot boats but they had a lead on some big yellow-tails. We netted 29 yellow tails and a few rock fish of the 18 of us that ended up fishing. Most were 25-30lbs, but the winner was a 40lbs for the pot of $$$.

We were 75 miles off the coast in CA waters, I brought my Fathom 15LD on a 7' Carnage II rod with 30# mono and a 30# Fluoro topshot. The Yellowtail were lazy biters, but my two I got from belly hooking the bait and letting them swim with about 150-200yds of line. these yellow-tail were fighters and the like to dive down to the rocks and break the line. The 15LD was perfect for the drag and the long fight. I brought my Squall 60 2-speed with 80# braid topped with 80# Fluoro to troll but nothing played with the lure.

The Fathom 15 did great last year with the 25-30lb YF and BF we brought home.

Highly recommend the Relentless and crew, and VERY MUCH recommend getting a group of friends together to do the overnight, much easier to work around the rail when you know everyone a little bit.

Image-4(1).jpeg

Image-3(1).jpeg

Image-2(1).jpeg

Image-1(2).jpeg

Image(2).jpeg

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Heat said:

Awesome report man, thanks for sharing. NICE grade on those yellows!

25#+ YT are stubborn fish, they don't give up easily.  Nice haul!

@NewlyMinted, nice work, good write up.  Glad you got on some fish, love to fight the YT. 

7 hours ago, biglakejake said:

OH My!!  why didn't i think of this!  i never use a rod belt because i need the socket below mid thigh-the proper standup 'power triangle'.  this is the ticket and works with gimbaled and smooth rodbutts.  i may never get to use one but i'm buying a couple anyway!

gimbal.jpg.c1ae2c5044f4bb1a1041ea408537a695.jpg

thought this was some kind of ocean going initiation ritual performed in the bowels of the boat.  Why not a normal $10.00 belt.  

Amazon.com : KUFA small Fishing Fighting Belt (8"x4") 5 oz RH8 ...

• Haha 2