Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Is that a better time of year? I really don't know. This trip presented itself and sounded like a good opportunity for a new experience adn to catch some different types of fish. I've only done a few overnight trips and wanted to go on a longer one.

You don’t know what ocean you’re fishing? If you’re driving from loreto, you might be crossing over to la bocana 

Yes November mag bay to many like myself is the ultimate bucket list fishing trip. A boat caught 300 marlin in a day there last year in November. And the wahoo, many wahoo. Groupers. 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

You don’t know what ocean you’re fishing? If you’re driving from loreto, you might be crossing over to la bocana 

Yes November mag bay to many like myself is the ultimate bucket list fishing trip. A boat caught 300 marlin in a day there last year in November. And the wahoo, many wahoo. Groupers. 

Jeff said Magdalena Bay.

39 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Might have to start a new thread.

Oh yeah, this is the San Diego thread. Ive looked into going to mag bay lodge

youve seen the videos from there? National Geographic type stuff 

38 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

How’s the ankle holding up?

Six months later it is at 80%. Probably as good as it is going to get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biglakejake said:

BUYING-

if anyone has one or two 7ft bait sticks-hi end-you want to sell used let me know.  age not a problem.  not interested in spinning rods.

lee

Best summer in ages to go chase Bluefin and even lots of Dorado limits are coming in on overnight boats. I am seeing quite a few 300#+ fish getting posted.

Had an awesome 2 day on the Apollo, dorado and YFT limits in one of the best wide open bites I have seen. A few nice tuna over 40# but most were 15-20#

#2 hooks and 20# flouro was the ticket. We fished the tuna pens in MX waters. 

C8085663-E7B3-4B22-B1FF-48FD3439E123.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

1.5 day Pacifica trip limited out on Dodo and yft...  Hit an open water school of Dorado about 7:30 and in about 15 mins we were limited out.  I've never seen a bite like that before. Just drop a bait in right at the boat and 10 fish are swarming the bait. We started with #4 hooks and 20# flouro but I quickly went to #2 and 30 and didn't notice any difference. They were pretty aggressive. 

We switched to jigs to try to get down through them to the tuna. Worked pretty well but still released a pile of Dodos. One pretty cool trick a deckhand showed me was to use a small flatfall, cast it way out and burn it in on top. The Dodo don't really like it to begin with but the tuna will come up and smash it.

After leaving behind 2 other schools of Dodos that we found while troling, we finally found a school of yft and quickly limited out on them as well. Coltsnipers in the 120g was the smallest I had but still got plenty of action. (I'd suggest going smaller too)  Every bite but 1 was on the retrieve. Rip it back up and the slightest pause got hit. Candy Iwashi and green Mack did very well. These were 10-15# footballs but still a ton of fun.

If you go, you had better be able to tie your own lines and hooks and have pliers because you may be waiting a long time for help when the action is that crazy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

1.5 day Pacifica trip limited out on Dodo and yf

see any larger model yft or any bft?  my son is out for 2.5 on the 20th