Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

1 minute ago, biglakejake said:

see any larger model yft or any bft?  my son is out for 2.5 on the 20th

Never saw a bft but we weren't looking. The yft we found were on the small end but other boats were finding them in the 20-30# class so just depends on what you run into.

The Pride returned from a 1.5 day bft hunting trip at the same time and they scored. They landed 4 right around 200# and lost over a dozen so the big boys are still around too.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

October, November

fish are there but...gold standard is oct 15th or so-after that its so rough outside few want to go fishing.  try la paz or east cape instead.

lee

16 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I heard October, November for the Big BFT?  Does this sound right?  

They catch quite a few big fish in June and July also September and October. Its been good for almost 6 or 7 months straight now. A few weeks here and there have been off with cooler, windy weather and water turning over but for the most part fishing is and has been about as good as it gets for bluefin tuna. Get out there! Good luck! 

• Like 1

Watch the Aztec for 1.75 day trips in October/November if you want a shot at a big bluefin. 

• Like 1

purty fair fishing offshore last couple of days.  12hr trip on the San Diego out of seaforth today had 34 anglers bring back 170 yft and 68 dodos'.  sometimes a plan just comes together nicely.  and the bft out west are still going good for kids' 2.5 day.  fingers an toes crossed that H&M calls me with an opening on the odyssey.

lee

• Like 1

Hey Lee,  how did your boy do?

We had a rough and slow day On  9-20-20. The whole week prior was pretty slow on the reports as well. We brought back 17 fish total and 11 were Dorado. We had 1 skipjack tuna also, which I will post also. I was lucky enough to get 1 decent Dorado On our very last stop.

Alot of people told me that the color leaves the dodo's fast, which I believed you guys. But man were talking by time you take 2 pictures turn phone sideways and two more. Color was almost completely gone. I'll post the first and the last picture for those that would like to see the difference. Have that camera ready if you want the Yellow still, we walked 5 feet and I took my phone out of my pocket and that's all the yellow that was left ..... over all we had a good time even though the bite was slow. 

There's the skipjack tuna next to my dodo.

Thanks again for all questions answered by some of you on this thread that I was probably bothering more and more as my trip neared. I did learn alot from you guys and on the trip itself, again I'm thankful for your guys help... it was much appreciated. 

20200921_160739.jpg

20200921_163852.jpg

20200921_160751.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HyNoon said:

We had a rough and slow day On  9-20-20. The whole week prior was pretty slow on the reports as well.  I was lucky enough to get 1 decent Dorado On our very last stop.

Those rough trips are the ones that make those wide open bites and limits seem that much better when they do happen. Fishing is fun, catching is better!  Glad you still enjoyed the trip and were able to check a dodo off your list.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I got offered to take my friends spot on a 2 day I think he said it was leaving tomorrow, for free. 

I would take it if I was you , I think the fishing has picked back up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Those rough trips are the ones that make those wide open bites and limits seem that much better when they do happen. Fishing is fun, catching is better!  Glad you still enjoyed the trip and were able to check a dodo off your list.. 

Thanks, I was happy I got it too.

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I got offered to take my friends spot on a 2 day I think he said it was leaving tomorrow, for free. 

and?