Sign in to follow this  
Zackary11keeme

Odd Behavior?

Came across same thing in 2001 in unit 4 A. Small spike bull just like this walking in circles. We actually got out and we’re able to pet his fuzzy spikes. A forest service guy down the road thinks it got struck by lighting ??? 

10 hours ago, buglethemin said:

Came across same thing in 2001 in unit 4 A. Small spike bull just like this walking in circles. We actually got out and we’re able to pet his fuzzy spikes. A forest service guy down the road thinks it got struck by lighting ??? 

Interesting.. wonder what made him think that? Visible burns or something? This bull was for sure not right but saw no injuries. 

I've heard of elk being infected with brain worms here and there. I wonder if that could be the case.

In both moose and elk, infestation can lead to fatality. Blockage of the carotid and other arteries of the head and face region by E. schneideri adults restricts local bloodflow, leading to ischemic damage to the brain, optic nerve, ears, muzzle and other facial areas. The results are often blindness; walking in circles or poor coordination (ataxia); dermatitis or gangrene of the ears, muzzle or nostrils; abnormal antler growth; or death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeophora_schneideri

I've seen blind elk on my property, deranged elk in lower desert country where they should not be, and also been chased by a mature cow elk on my 4 wheeler! Diseased I suspect.