Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Savage model 16 build

so I'm finally going to start building on my model 16 300 wsm. I already picked up a bell and Carlson target stock and found a deal on bottom metal for it. I picked up a vx5hd, but I'm shelving it and ordered a nightforce nsx.

I'll be using it as is for this year's coues hunt, but after that I'll be ready to tear into it. To late in the year to make any major changes. 

Right now it shoots 167 grain bergers really well, but I have lost all confidence in that bullet. Of all the animals we have taken i have never seen any evidence of expansion. I would like to shoot a heavier round, but I dont want to give up too much speed. I'm right at 3160fps right now. 

I don't know much about working on bolt guns, so I'm sure I'll reach out to axis works to get this going. 

What would you guys recommend for a barrel, knob, and muzzle break? I was thinking about an atlas bipod, but if there are other suggestions I'd love to hear them. 

Looking forward to the input. 

That's odd you haven't seen any expansion. I shoot factory HSM with 168 Bergers in my 7 Mag and it leaves fist size holes.

I've heard that from several people. My 300wsm and my wife's 7mm refuse to expand for some reason. 

My Buddy shoots 168gr Sierra Matchkings from his Patriot chambered Savage Model 16.

He's had plenty of one shot kills at different ranges on elk, mule deer, and coues.

Sometimes with devastating expansion and exit channels.

He is having a hard time finding an aftermarket stock for his Model 16 Weather Warrior.

It's an older (non accustock) version.  Do you have any leads?

• Like 1

Chef,

Did he check with Boyds? The Savage Forums would be a good place to check on what stocks fit the earlier model. I think the early ones came out in 93ish.

Thanks PRDATR and yes he has looked at Boyds but would prefer Synthetic/Fiberglass over Laminate.

He may have to go the Boyds route if he doesn't have much luck then try to lighten it up a bit before bedding.

He found that Manner's possibly could hook him up, but they now wont return his emails/calls. (!?)

The Savage forums are shock full of experienced guys.  I found that you don't bed the rear tang on a Savage!

They all HATE the flexible plastic stock on the early rifles.

I have three different thoughts on this. First, You are shooting a magnum cartridge. The main benefit of a magnum for me anyways is more energy and less wind drift on target. That means a big heavy bullet to maximize the potential of all that extra powder your burning. Something in the 200 - 215gr range would be where I would want to be. Keep in mind though that Coues are very small and not very wide. A big heavy bullet may push right on through without doing much damage just because there is not a lot of resistance there to make the bullet work. Results of course will vary on shot placement, range and impact velocity. I assume this is kind of what you are running into now. 

My seconds thought is you obviously like speed. That being said a 155gr Sierra TMK has a BC very close to that of the 168gr Berger; G7 BCs of .238 and .254 respectively. The 155 can be fired at a much higher velocity and will undoubtedly provide more expansion on impact than what you are currently seeing and provide nearly identical wind drift and energy out to 700 yards or so. At 1000 yards the 155 will only give up roughly 3" more wind and 90 ft lbs of energy when fired just 100fps faster than the 168. 

My third thought is you say animals that have been taken but in the same sentence say the bullet isn't working properly. How many have walked away from the combo that you are shooting now? Whats wrong with sticking with it? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chef said:

My Buddy shoots 168gr Sierra Matchkings from his Patriot chambered Savage Model 16.

He's had plenty of one shot kills at different ranges on elk, mule deer, and coues.

He is having a hard time finding an aftermarket stock for his Model 16 Weather Warrior.

Fairly certain Bell & Carlson makes a stock for that. Keep in mind that a Savage 16 is the same action as a 10, 11, 12 or 14. So any action that will work for a 10 will work as long as the screw spacing and feeding type are correct, ie staggered or center feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Mine is older with the top bolt release. Bell and Carlson has them for both. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, STOMP442 said:

I have three different thoughts on this. First, You are shooting a magnum cartridge. The main benefit of a magnum for me anyways is more energy and less wind drift on target. That means a big heavy bullet to maximize the potential of all that extra powder your burning. Something in the 200 - 215gr range would be where I would want to be. Keep in mind though that Coues are very small and not very wide. A big heavy bullet may push right on through without doing much damage just because there is not a lot of resistance there to make the bullet work. Results of course will vary on shot placement, range and impact velocity. I assume this is kind of what you are running into now. 

My seconds thought is you obviously like speed. That being said a 155gr Sierra TMK has a BC very close to that of the 168gr Berger; G7 BCs of .238 and .254 respectively. The 155 can be fired at a much higher velocity and will undoubtedly provide more expansion on impact than what you are currently seeing and provide nearly identical wind drift and energy out to 700 yards or so. At 1000 yards the 155 will only give up roughly 3" more wind and 90 ft lbs of energy when fired just 100fps faster than the 168. 

My third thought is you say animals that have been taken but in the same sentence say the bullet isn't working properly. How many have walked away from the combo that you are shooting now? Whats wrong with sticking with it? 

I have had a few coues walk away to never be found. Zero blood. The ones recovered also had very minimal blood, but also did not have to track them. The elk we have shot were heart shots so no big deal there. Maybe a heavier berger moving a little slower would expand better? I just like knowing that what I hit dies. Wounding and not being able to track sucks. 

2 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

I just like knowing that what I hit dies. Wounding and not being able to track sucks. 

This is the dream for everyone. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee no matter what bullet or caliber used. Just too many variables. All we can do as hunters is practice so that we can make the best shot possible. 

• Like 1

Thanks a ton guys.  I'll direct him to this thread.

He may chime in on his Sierra 168gr performance.

I know he shot a coues at very close range and he about blew the opposite shouder.

Granted, to add to STOMP442's theory, if you aren't hitting bone at that velocity, you may not get expansion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Thanks a ton guys.  I'll direct him to this thread.

He may chime in on his Sierra 168gr performance.

I know he shot a coues at very close range and he about blew the opposite shouder.

Granted, to add to STOMP442's theory, if you aren't hitting bone at that velocity, you may not get expansion.

This is the stock I have. #2014. I think(I am by no means an expert on this) as long as the action screw measurement is the same and the bolt release is in the correct configuration they will work across the different models. I had to get bottom metal for this particular stock and track down longer action screws. 

image.thumb.png.53467c241b70b5f08f67bf312733c1ca.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chef said:

Thanks PRDATR and yes he has looked at Boyds but would prefer Synthetic/Fiberglass over Laminate.

He may have to go the Boyds route if he doesn't have much luck then try to lighten it up a bit before bedding.

He found that Manner's possibly could hook him up, but they now wont return his emails/calls. (!?)

The Savage forums are shock full of experienced guys.  I found that you don't bed the rear tang on a Savage!

They all HATE the flexible plastic stock on the early rifles.

Isn't the original factory stock black synthetic? They were not really intended to be a long range rifle when they first came out. I ordered one for a friend in 338 and worked up some loads for him knowing it would be an Elk and Caribou gun with shots under 200 yards.