Jazz

Table Mesa Road & the Bradshaws

First, I'm going to say the Bradshaws have won me over.

I've spent some time there in the past two weeks and absolutely love it. Roads are ok, but the full size Hummers racing around corners present challenges sometimes.

Talked to some wardens in the area, and they loved to talk about deer and elk in the area. Bonus. Caught some fish- another bonus. It's 15 degrees cooler than below - love it.

Found a few cameras - if you see anyone in a Coueswhitetail shirt doing peace signs it's more than likely me. 

So- the question I have: Table Mesa Rd E. is closed just about as soon as you get off the highway. Would love to know why. I know the Tonto is in lockdown but that's not for 4 miles down the road. Until then it's State Land. 

There's a few spots I want to check out- and am wanting to call someone about the closure. I got places to explore!

5 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I've spent some time there in the past two weeks and absolutely love it. Roads are ok, but the full size Hummers racing around corners present challenges sometimes.

Talked to some wardens in the area, and they loved to talk about deer and elk in the area. Bonus. Caught some fish- another bonus. It's 15 degrees cooler than below - love it.

Found a few cameras - if you see anyone in a Coueswhitetail shirt doing peace signs it's more than likely me. 

So- the question I have: Table Mesa Rd E. is closed just about as soon as you get off the highway. Would love to know why. I know the Tonto is in lockdown but that's not for 4 miles down the road. Until then it's State Land. 

There's a few spots I want to check out- and am wanting to call someone about the closure. I got places to explore!

Because that first ranch you come to thinks he owns the whole world 

No signs? Is it a gate?

State looking -"Road Closed" signs. Nothing permanent. Just three in the road, with the ability to drive around the easily.

The original ranch owner passed away 3 years ago.  His son thinks he owns the road.  He does not.  Road is a public road.  

There was a recent fire in there about 2 months ago.  Burned all the way to the top of Table Mesa, almost burned the radio site we built up there.  

Be careful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Where did you catch the fish? I use to go to Horse Thief Basin when I lived in Cordes. Haven't been there in several years.

I spent alot of deer seasons and camping trips in the Bradshaw's behind Mayer as a kid. Deer hunt is ok up there. I do love those mountains myself. I spent alot of days four wheeling the westside of table mesa too. It is a fun place. 

I found some of what had to be old Indian ruins behind mayer about 8 years ago on a Deer hunt. It was at the top of a big hill and must have been a lookout or something. It was a big wall built out of neatly stacked flat rocks. 

I wish I had spent more time looking at it, but instead I just noted it in my head and moved on looking for deer. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Where did you catch the fish? I use to go to Horse Thief Basin when I lived in Cordes. Haven't been there in several years.

Horsethief Basin 😃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Did you catch any of the Muskies they put in there?

Not yet. We're pretty determined though! Caught some largemouth and bluegill. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

The original ranch owner passed away 3 years ago.  His son thinks he owns the road.  He does not.  Road is a public road.  

There was a recent fire in there about 2 months ago.  Burned all the way to the top of Table Mesa, almost burned the radio site we built up there.  

Be careful.

I can see it now.. I live within a softball's throw of that tower.

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

I can see it now.. I live within a softball's throw of that tower.

You must have a helluva an arm!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

State looking -"Road Closed" signs. Nothing permanent. Just three in the road, with the ability to drive around the easily.

I’d call it in and go around it

• Like 1

Just now, buckmaster21 said:

I didn't think you can get to horse thieves basin off of table mesa 

You could probably do it, but it would take a while.