Sign in to follow this  
recurveman

Remington Ultimate Muzzle loader loads/ advice

So......I told my buddy that if he drew a muzzy tag I would buy a muzzy (probably need one anyways) for his hunt.   He drew the Kiabab east side muzzy hunt.   So I bought the Remington Ultimate Muzzy and put the new Arrowhead breach plug into the gun.   So I'm now to the point where I'm looking for loading advice.    Only shot a muzzy once and I know little to nothing about them.    I'm leaning towards BH209 powder and I'm guessing a 250-300 grain pill.   Any advice on bullets, powders, velocity, cleaning tips, expectations would be great.   I'm super familiar with reloading rifles but I need an education with muzzy's.    Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Chad

• Like 1

CCI LRM.  Parker black max 300gr over 109gr BH209 by weight.  Maybe start at 105 and work up but that’s a sweet spot for my Johnston Ultimate with the Arrowhead plug.  

14 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

If it doesn’t have a muzzle break you might wanna get one.  It’ll knock the sh1t out of you if not. 

What would this load kick like?   300 win mag?   30-06? I'm fixing to dent primers this weekend.  

1 hour ago, recurveman said:

What would this load kick like?   300 win mag?   30-06? I'm fixing to dent primers this weekend.  

I made the mistake of leaving my lead sled at home one time when working on my load. After 15 shots my shoulder was in really bad shape and I couldn't shoot any more. A couple of days later my shoulder area (upper chest, shoulder, and down to my upper bicep) were all deep purple. Looked like those pictures you see of someone after a serious car accident. I shoot a 300 RUM and this is much more powerful. That said, I have not put a break on it yet. It isn't that I don't want one, I just have too many other more pressing projects that my funds need to go towards. IMO, you don't need one in hunting situations because most people don't notice the recoil with all the adrenaline pumping when hunting. The exception might be a youth hunter or small lady.  You also don't need to keep the rifle on target for a quick follow up shot, it is a muzzle loader after all, and you have to go through the process of a reload.

The range is where it really matters. But shooting from a weighed lead sled can negate that issue. I use a 25 pound plate on my lead sled and it makes it very manageable.

That said, I would never let one of my younger hunters or my wife free shoulder a shot with it in a non-hunting situation. Don't put that type of fear in their mind. Come game time or it will mess them up.

Well now......that sounds like fun.   Guess I'll make my buddy do all of the load development!!!!!!   Luckily I have a lead sled.....but I won't tell him until we are done.  

• Haha 1

Yes I agree with the above.  My Johnston ultimate with that load and the muzzle break on it kicks about like my 7mm STW without a muzzle break.  I would say with no muzzle break it would be about like a .338 lapua without a break.  Brutal for sure.  The muzzle break on the Johnston isn’t designed very well.  Just a bunch of holes in a circle.  My bad to the bone sabotless muzzy shoots way more powder and just lays there when you touch it off but the muzzle break is a big old side port rig so that makes a huge difference.  

That thing should shoot lights out with the bullets it comes with and 4 triple 7 pellets but it gonna kick like a mule put an aftermarket trigger in it 

I shot my cva this past weekend. I’m a huge person! One of the shots I got scope checked! No damage to me but I realized it’s more recoil than the 300/338mags. Still doesn’t make me want a break though, just had to learn how to handle that particular rifle.

7 hours ago, recurveman said:

So......I told my buddy that if he drew a muzzy tag I would buy a muzzy (probably need one anyways) for his hunt.   He drew the Kiabab east side muzzy hunt.   So I bought the Remington Ultimate Muzzy and put the new Arrowhead breach plug into the gun.   So I'm now to the point where I'm looking for loading advice.    Only shot a muzzy once and I know little to nothing about them.    I'm leaning towards BH209 powder and I'm guessing a 250-300 grain pill.   Any advice on bullets, powders, velocity, cleaning tips, expectations would be great.   I'm super familiar with reloading rifles but I need an education with muzzy's.    Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Chad

Whats the rate of twist and caliber? Surely it's a fast twist.

I'm hearing bad reviews on the performance of Powerbelts on my muzzy forums. I shoot em and they're plenty accurate and easier to load than the sabots I've tried.

But I'm hearing they disintegrate before making good penetration.

I'm drawn for a muzzy deer season so I'll give this .54 Hawkens a try with patch and ball.1336327-IMG_8823.thumb.jpg.cdb84c1e45d87bb6706a4e4e40316ca2.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Awesome gun.  I killed my first elk with a .54 caliber renegade with a green mountain 1:66 twist round ball barrel. 

I'll have to measure the twist. It has an M proof mark underside of the barrel so maybe a Green Mountain barrel, 1:66 or 1:48.

• Like 1

shot the muzzy this weekend with the arrowhead BP installed.     Shot the remington 250 grain bullet and green sabot with 90-100 grains of BH209.   Was shocked at how accurate the gun is.   Shooting 100 grains by weight will likely end up being the load.   Bullets were literally touching each other.    Can't ask more than that.   I was using a lead sled but recoil wasn't bad.   Now my buddy just needs a deer to stand still at 100 yards.