Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

Comet Neowise Visible after Sunset

We’ve been looking for it for a week and finally found it last night! My two kids (10 and 8) were so excited to see it, my wife saw it first and as the light faded it became easier to see. Even with a pair of 10x42’s my kids were able to take a good look. We were out on the patio until 10 last night looking at it and stars and planets. After we found the comet I downloaded the nightsky app and it really is accurate so if you can’t find it try one of the apps and it should get you close. Couple more weeks of viewing with July 22 being the closest. Anyway it’s pretty cool and yeah the kids do like too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeeman said:

We’ve been looking for it for a week and finally found it last night! My two kids (10 and 8) were so excited to see it, my wife saw it first and as the light faded it became easier to see. Even with a pair of 10x42’s my kids were able to take a good look. We were out on the patio until 10 last night looking at it and stars and planets. After we found the comet I downloaded the nightsky app and it really is accurate so if you can’t find it try one of the apps and it should get you close. Couple more weeks of viewing with July 22 being the closest. Anyway it’s pretty cool and yeah the kids do like too.

My father was an avid amateur astronomer and always kept me informed about meteor showers or easily visible comets.  I never caught the astronomy bug but always enjoyed observing comets.  The astronomy community gets excited about newly discovered or returning comets hoping they will put on a show.  Most fizzle, Neowise is an exception to the fizzle rule.

Actually watching right now. Grew up in flagstaff spent so many nights watching meteor showers. Kids are having fun looking at the comet 

• Like 1

Last night about 9pm it was easy to find in the NW sky.  It looks like it is getting higher in the horizon as the week goes on. But I can't find what is the optimal viewing time? From what I saw last night, it was not as cool as the pictures I see online and binos were better viewing than the spotter.  I'm guessing there maybe a better time of night? 

We saw it last night as well starting at ~8:40 and watched it until 9:10.  It was below the Big Dipper....about 1 dippers length below (ish).  Hope that helps

• Like 1