Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

Skin stapler for first aid kit

26 minutes ago, tomgobbler said:

I’ve sewn myself up a few times . Hurts like crazy, but don’t have to wait for hours at the dr & can get right back to work . 

2ACCF526-DE36-4CBE-8AB4-AFFBEB99D34B.jpeg

FDA01F6F-C2B8-42D3-B290-EA9F828B4B4D.jpeg

Is that your finger?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Does it muffle the crying too?

I can muffle my crying in a pillow pretty good

Sliced off the tip of my finger one Saturday night cutting up sausages for dinner. I could only put two stitches in it. I told my son get my sewing kit, there was no way I was going to Banner Desert at 8:30 PM on a Saturday night. It probably could have gotten three by a Doc.

I've used Super Glue in a pinch.

Looking at these online, big difference in price.  The inexpensive ones are for animals  at $11.00 vs $140 for people grade,    For those of you who have used these, can the "vet" units be used for first aid on us humans  in a pinch?  Says they are sterilized  single use units. For only  $11.00 it  sure seems like a cheap insurance policy for some of those "Oh Crap" moments, like when you screw up with a broad head or a Havalon. 

My step mom used one on me once (she was a flight nurse and had it on hand) after that she said keep it as she couldn't use it anymore since it was opened.  Later i used it to stich up my lip. They work great and not nearly as painful as it might seem and removal is a breeze. I still have the thing.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:05 PM, NOTAGS said:

Looking at these online, big difference in price.  The inexpensive ones are for animals  at $11.00 vs $140 for people grade,    For those of you who have used these, can the "vet" units be used for first aid on us humans  in a pinch?  Says they are sterilized  single use units. For only  $11.00 it  sure seems like a cheap insurance policy for some of those "Oh Crap" moments, like when you screw up with a broad head or a Havalon. 

Just the disclaimer so they can justify the extra cost.  

Interesting.  May look into one of those.

Looking for options for this year's deer hunt.  I haven't been out of the woods since I went on blood thinners 18 months ago.  When I go out, I like to get waaayy back out there, and often alone.  Had anticipated being off them after a year, but doc extended to 18 months, then got hit with another stent, and another 18 months on the anti-platelet meds.   Sent me into a deep funk when I found out it was extended to 18 months at first, then another 18 months on top of that with the placement of a new stent.  Told doc I was going out anyway.  He says "no knives, chainsaws, and stay close to civilization".  Told him that wasn't happening.  This has been soul crushing staying out of the boonies.  Going to be safe, but will take my chances.

First set of chainsaw chaps purchased.

Always keep a pretty well stocked 1st aid kit in the pack and truck both.  Compression bandages, super glue, quick clot, etc.  Judging by the way I bleed when I cut myself shaving or in the kitchen these days though, I may need to step up my game. 

I understand now quick clot can be a bit worrisome, and am doing more research on that.  Have carried it for years and don't intend to remove it from the pack, as if things are that bad, a possible heart attack from a clot weeks, months, or years down the line is better than bleeding out in the middle of nowhere if there simply are no other options.  But will be looking to add a tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and maybe some other items (in addition to the increased caution). 

2 hours ago, daverp said:

Interesting.  May look into one of those.

Looking for options for this year's deer hunt.  I haven't been out of the woods since I went on blood thinners 18 months ago.  When I go out, I like to get waaayy back out there, and often alone.  Had anticipated being off them after a year, but doc extended to 18 months, then got hit with another stent, and another 18 months on the anti-platelet meds.   Sent me into a deep funk when I found out it was extended to 18 months at first, then another 18 months on top of that with the placement of a new stent.  Told doc I was going out anyway.  He says "no knives, chainsaws, and stay close to civilization".  Told him that wasn't happening.  This has been soul crushing staying out of the boonies.  Going to be safe, but will take my chances.

First set of chainsaw chaps purchased.

Always keep a pretty well stocked 1st aid kit in the pack and truck both.  Compression bandages, super glue, quick clot, etc.  Judging by the way I bleed when I cut myself shaving or in the kitchen these days though, I may need to step up my game. 

I understand now quick clot can be a bit worrisome, and am doing more research on that.  Have carried it for years and don't intend to remove it from the pack, as if things are that bad, a possible heart attack from a clot weeks, months, or years down the line is better than bleeding out in the middle of nowhere if there simply are no other options.  But will be looking to add a tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and maybe some other items (in addition to the increased caution). 

A good tourniquet is a must in any pack. Don't leave home without one. 

If you are on heavy blood thinners a stapler will not do you much good.

You may have to look into how to field dress your game with a spoon.