Sign in to follow this  
Boarman03

WTB bear tag?

3 hours ago, Vowell said:

Let’s just say if you had a OTC Tag and you did shoot this with your 6.5,,,,, your last name might as well be Owens 😂

What does that mean?

• Like 1

Crazy but my wife and i were headed up to scout for my 5b Antelope hunt and saw the same bear this morning about 5:15am on the east side of 87 about 4 miles north of Strawberry. Not the best pic but he did have red tags in both ears. 

30C3AD4D-D26A-40EC-A97D-A1D292134E86.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vowell said:

Let’s just say if you had a OTC Tag and you did shoot this with your 6.5,,,,, your last name might as well be Owens 😂

Because it's not within the permitted hunt time frame, or because it has two red tags? Not the required caliber? Too close to the highway? Or other? Please clarify.

Of course we are speaking of taking the bear only within the allowed hunt time frame.

We wouldn't shoot from the car or across any roads. Could have used a bow or crossbow with medical and AGFD permission.

Now I'm going to have to search the regs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azbuxnbulls said:

Crazy but my wife and i were headed up to scout for my 5b Antelope hunt and saw the same bear this morning about 5:15am on the east side of 87 about 4 miles north of Strawberry. Not the best pic but he did have red tags in both ears. 

30C3AD4D-D26A-40EC-A97D-A1D292134E86.jpeg

Older juvenile, slightly brown, two red ratings, one in each ear, looks like the same one and same general area. It'd better be careful crossing the highway (87). Would be just like it to go back and forth between two different hunt areas. Better yet, stick to the side of the highway.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20200719-061804.thumb.png.40c5eede17820b1112c4caf925e5fd6f.png

Fall  bear season for 6A starts August 21 and ends September 10, reopens October 2 and runs to December 31 or until female without cubs limit is reached. Standard rules apply.

5B starts October 2 and runs until December 31 or until female without cubs limit is reached. Special permission for Hopi Trust Land and sign-in required for ranch lands.

No center fire bullet caliber restrictions other than no shot (or rim fire) allowed, bullets (pills) & slugs only including shotgun and black powder. Pre-charged pneumatics .35 cal or larger required.

Is this what Vowell meant by his post;

Let’s just say if you had a OTC Tag and you did shoot this with your 6.5,,,,, your last name might as well be Owens 😂

Screenshot_20200719-063455.png

On 7/18/2020 at 8:21 AM, Red Rabbit said:

Those power lines in the background sure are low 😉

But they still count? Even if they look like a fence? I could use infamy and a "good deal".

4 hours ago, jim said:

I'm thinking if he gets caught again maybe they go with a nose ring. 

I believe it would be a very permanent hyburnation, never ending winter sleep.

Just saying season is closed, even if you had a tag you still could have not shot him.   That’s all

• Like 1

Of course, I think I get the jest, but he's not the kind of guy who would do that or even suggest it.. All good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Of course, I think I get the jest, but he's not the kind of guy who would do that or even suggest it.. All good.

I agree! I hear boarman is a good guy, I was just havin a little fun

• Like 3

On 7/18/2020 at 8:41 AM, Boarman03 said:

Forest closed to shooting, even Coconino. And it rained until we left. Didn't have time to go by the range. My 14 year old son was with me and had laid claim to that rifle the night before when I was recording my guns into an excel spreadsheet I had developed with all pertinent info including serial number, date of purchase, source of purchase, and description. I'm a little nerdy in some ways.

Sooo, we got to grin and "bear" it instead. (Yes, I know I don't have a career as a comedian)

(Remember, I drove 305 miles yesterday and I'm still recovering. Wife's car so it cost $16.00 in fuel getting an average of 48.6 miles per gallon at speeds above 70+ even up hills. Less than one tank the whole trip. DO NOT TAKE OFF ROADING! Steve123 threatened to take a picture and post it.)

Out of curiosity, where did you get that the Coconino NF is closed to shooting?  Their Stage 2 Fire Restriction order from June 13 does not exempt shooting.  It would be specifically called out in the prohibited acts at the top.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd748492.pdf

And (edited)....I just saw Red Rabbit's similar response above.  Sorry for the duplication of info...

• Like 1

Posts like this from the US Forest Service could make one easily think the ban is in effect in all the forests, not just the three where it actually has been banned. (Coronado, Prescott and Tonto.)

Be aware that target shooting is prohibited under most current Stage II Fire Restrictions on National Forest lands in Arizona. For more information go to: http://bit.ly/2ra43jv

It actually states shooting is allowed under stage II restrictions in Coconino.  (Last bullet point)

Stage II Restrictions

Flyer for Stage II Fire RestrictionsWhat is Prohibited:

• Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire.
  • Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, or in developed recreation sites, or while stopped in an area at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any flammable material.
  • Welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame.
  • Operating a chainsaw or any other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine between the hours of 9 a.m to 8 p.m.
Exemptions:
  • Using a stove or grill that is solely fueled by liquid petroleum or liquid petroleum gas (LPG) fuels.
  • Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically exempting them from the prohibitions.
  • Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of official duty.
  • Persons operating generators with an approved spark arresting device in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the generator.
  • Shooting firearms IS allowed. Just make sure to follow normal federal rules: No shooting within a 150 yards of a campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, residence or building. No shooting across a road, trail or body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. No shooting in a cave.