Couesdeer

WTB 20 ga shotgun

My son has outgrown his youth 870 express in 20 ga.  Looking to buy an adult size 870 stock set that will fit his shotgun, or a 20 ga shotgun for him.  He likes his 870, but we will consider all makes.  

If we do find him a shotgun, his youth 20 ga will be on the market soon! 

It might be worth looking at the Weatherby SA-08?  It can be had in either 20 or 12 gauge. You can find them for $400-500.  My son had one in 20 ga. He put thousands of rounds through it and it was super reliable. I know others who have the 12 ga model and have had similar results. If he is ready for a full size gun, it might be worth moving to a 12 ga?  The action takes out a lot of the recoil, and it may keep you from having to buy a 12 as well down the road when he is done with a 20. You can get 7/8 oz loads for the 12 that are essentially identical in power to the 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads if recoil is the issue. Some semi-autos won’t eject light loads, but you can experiment with different loads and see what works and what he is comfortable with. If you want him to try a semi-auto 12, I would be happy to let you borrow one. 

Good advice, dux.  I shot 12 ga for everything until I picked up a citori in 20 ga.  It is my dove/quail gun.  Still have a Nova in 12 that gets the nod during turkey season and the occasional predator hunt.  

Funny how it is finding the right shotgun. For the life of me I can't get comfortable behind an 1100 or 870, the stock feels too slim to me.  My father and son love theirs.  An old field grade model 12 fits me like a glove.    

Looks like we can close this ad out.  I was lucky enough to obtain a full size stock set for his shotgun.  This will buy us a year or two and give him time to grow a little more and find a shotgun that fits him well.