Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Poor man's Alaska fishing trip?

Want to take my wife on a fishing trip but just dont Want to spend $4k or more.  Can I have a fun similar experience in the Pacific northwest? Is the fishing as good, best times of year etc?

I know its not quite the same but I have been to Jackson Lake in Wyoming a few times. We hire a guide for a day and then spend a few days out on our own in a rented boat. We go in June or July and have always had great luck catching Browns and Lake trout. 

• Like 3

She really wants halibut, I'm hoping for both halibut and salmon.  Alaska is not necessarily out of the question but if  i can do the same thing closer and cheaper...

• Like 1

Don’t know much about OR or WA but you can do Alaska cheaper then $4k.  This summer in AK would be great with fewer people and a lot of deals to be had. 

Another idea though would be Walleye on Lake Erie or Saginaw Bay.  Lake Michigan for Browns and Salmon on MI or WI side. Lake Superior also.  

• Like 1

Halibut fishing is miserable. Holding a rod with a 5lb weight at 2:00AM with 30 other people sucks. The little deadliest catch town is cool for about 2 hours. It is so much smaller than it looks on TV and mobs of people are with you the entire time. Mostly a tourist trap.
Now salmon fishing on the river can be fun and trout fishing is awesome. If you find cheap flights I think you can have fun for $4K. Sorry I can’t help with booking info. I went last time with a mission group so the 3 fishing trips were booked as a large group. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rcdinaz said:

Halibut fishing is miserable. Holding a rod with a 5lb weight at 2:00AM with 30 other people sucks. The little deadliest catch town is cool for about 2 hours. It is so much smaller than it looks on TV and mobs of people are with you the entire time. Mostly a tourist trap.
Now salmon fishing on the river can be fun and trout fishing is awesome. If you find cheap flights I think you can have fun for $4K. Sorry I can’t help with booking info. I went last time with a mission group so the 3 fishing trips were booked as a large group. 

I enjoyed it. This is one catch of four charters. 

20200718_152826~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2

Look into Bandon OR, I use to enforce the halibut derby’s there for the Coast Guard, it’s not Alaska no other place is. But we caught fish pretty much every derbie. Only select weekends each summer

• Like 3

5guys maybe I was too harsh. Everyone catches fish and it is the best eating there is! 
 That being said once was enough for me. 😬

I'm just anticipating this next stimulus package. Alaska halibut is a bucket list trip for me and her. But I told her for what that trip cost we could gear up for the both of us and still do a San Diego tuna trip and a Mexico trip and then have the gear forever.  Honestly it's a tough choice. 

• Like 2

Dug up some old posts, waters edge lodge looks pretty intriguing.   $3400 for 5 days 6 nights in a room and includes a boat and gear and meals every day. Hard to go wrong there I would think. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm just anticipating this next stimulus package. Alaska halibut is a bucket list trip for me and her. But I told her for what that trip cost we could gear up for the both of us and still do a San Diego tuna trip and a Mexico trip and then have the gear forever.  Honestly it's a tough choice. 

A stimulus package. For what?