IA Born

Fly Tying for 2nd Deg Black Belt

Good afternoon, 

Some of you remember a little over a year ago when my son was working on his 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo.  As part of that process, he had to raise the $550 by himself.  He opted to tie flies for donations to raise his money.  He received his black belt at 11 years old last October and, in November, started working towards his 2nd degree black belt.  He has two years to complete everything, which is a recommendation from our studio for kids his age.  Once again, he has opted to tie flies for donations to raise the $550 for his 2nd degree black belt promotion, which will be in October 2021.  This is an even more special black belt promotion because, if everything goes according to plan, I will be testing for my 1st degree black belt at the same time he's testing for his 2nd degree black.

He has gotten good at tying several different flies since he started this and I've caught trout, or had great strikes (my fault on the miss) on both his nymphs (pheasant tail) and dries (elk hair caddis  and royal Wulff)!  Below is a list of what he can tie regularly, but he can also look up fly tying videos and create your favorite pattern.  He can tie down to size 18 for nymphs with confidence.  Dries he can tie down to 20 with confidence on most.  They still aren't professional grade, but they look good and catch fish!  You obviously won't hurt our feelings if you say no and pass this, but Jacob would appreciate any consideration.  You can PM me or text me if you have my number if you are interested and want to place orders.  And, since last year, my wife has Venmo and I have Zelle to make life easier.  I can post pics of some of the ones he's tied if you want to see them.

Dries

Elk hair caddis

Griffith's gnat

Royal Wulff

Parachute adams

Blue wing olive

Foam beetle

Foam ant

Nymphs

Pheasant tail

Copper john

Prince nymph

Bead head prince nymph

Muddler minnow (weighted)

San Juan worm

Stretch tubing scud

Bead head caddis larvae

Other

Bass poppers

Wooly buggers

Simiseal leach (Thanks Big Browns!)

Mop fly

• Like 1

Very cool, good luck to your son. 

I could see myself stocking up on a greenie weenie/squirmy assortment, especially some with bead heads in non-typical red san juan patterns.

If there is any way for you to post his flies, it would be easier to know which and how many to order. I'm sure the look of some bass or crappie flies would get me to bite even more. 

• Like 1

I'll get some pics of his most recent flies in the next few days, but the link from last year's request has a bass popper, woolly buggers, pheasant tail, original elk hair caddis (much better now), and a mudler minnow.  

• Like 2

The Black Belt journey is a great one.  Good on him for making his own money for the fees.

• Like 1

I want a dozen. I don't fly fish but I do drag them behind bubbles. I also would like a dozen to send to my daughter who is heading off to college in Cedar City. How do we go about this. Feel free to shoot em a PM.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I want a dozen. I don't fly fish but I do drag them behind bubbles. I also would like a dozen to send to my daughter who is heading off to college in Cedar City. How do we go about this. Feel free to shoot em a PM.

I'll shoot you a PM shortly.  Thanks!

I tied thousands of flies during college to pay my bills.  It's a great way to earn a few bucks!  I didn't see it listed.  How much is he charging?  I also recommend you sell some on etsy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Browns said:

I tied thousands of flies during college to pay my bills.  It's a great way to earn a few bucks!  I didn't see it listed.  How much is he charging?  I also recommend you sell some on etsy.

Adam,

I think it is up to the generosity of the buyer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Adam,

I think it is up to the generosity of the buyer.

Correct. We're doing it on donation. It helps him work harder to produce better products. 

• Like 1

Who gets the $550? The school or does it get donated to charity as part of a giving back to the community type thing?

11 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Who gets the $550? The school or does it get donated to charity as part of a giving back to the community type thing?

The $550 is the studio's fee for the black belt promotion. Its a 24-hour program filled with activities, including community service, on top if the non-stop training the candidates do. The money covers the cost of the activities they do, as well as supplies and the boards that are curmt throughout the night for the next day.

Every black belt candidate in our studio has community service obligations throughout the year-long journey to complete in order to be able to even test in their respective October promotion. 

I finally found a couple of pics of a Royal Wulff Jacob has tied previously.  I don't recall is this is a #12 or a #14, but he did pretty darn good for a first try.

1578753151_JW_RoyalWulff.thumb.jpg.a37224b098d51db0032951508b0f3c3b.jpg

2102592277_JW_RoyalWulff2.thumb.jpg.abae954b59669391f11820f84f3d0c41.jpg

1465662295_JW_RoyalWulff3.thumb.jpg.c3ca819724e27047f97d9875f0823271.jpg

If anyone needs some Flys, I'll buy.  I don't fly fish, but I'll send 50$ to your boy and someone who needs the flys, can let him know what they want.  Send me a pm with payment options.  

Good luck with your 's and your boy's journey.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

If anyone needs some Flys, I'll buy.  I don't fly fish, but I'll send 50$ to your boy and someone who needs the flys, can let him know what they want.  Send me a pm with payment options.  

Good luck with your 's and your boy's journey.  

That's awesome.  Thanks!!

Got to meet Jacob and Brian today picking up my flies.  It was a pleasure chatting with you both.  

The quality of the flies Jacob ties is amazing.  I compared them to the few Umpqua flies in my box, specifically the copper john, his looks way better!  Tighter wraps and no visible knots.  👍

• Like 2