Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Own a piece of history

Cleator

CleatorArizona.140509.jpg

Cleator /ˈkliːtər/ is a ghost town in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. It lies along the road that has replaced Murphy's Impossible Railroad between Cordes and Crown King.

Cleator was established in 1864 as a placer gold mining site under the name Turkey Creek Mining District. A post office was established at Turkey Creek in July 1869 but closed within three months.[2]

Turkey Creek was renamed Cleator in 1925 after James P. Cleator took possession of the town from Levrett P. Nellis. He then named the post office after himself.[2] The post office closed July 15, 1954.[2]

CleatorArizona.140509

Cleator's population fell in the 1920s as mining in the area declined and the town was put up for sale by James Cleator in April 1949. It then had about 60 residents.[2] James P. Cleator's son Thomas bought the town and lived there until his death in 1996. He kept the small bar open most of the years he lived there. After his death everything was inherited by his sister Eleanor and her son. The bar is still open and a favorite stop along the dusty road for recreational ATV drivers and weekend tourists.  Several original buildings remain and are occupied.

https://www.azfamily.com/lifestyle/phoenix_luxury_homes/photos-arizona-ghost-town-with-mining-rights-and-bar-on-market-for-1-2-million/collection_60d6971c-cb85-11ea-8b73-b7fa57a1e071.html?fbclid=IwAR1AW2kSRP3sE7D_W_9kW6SUw9mxtY2A-uDaCg5qxEbZ2cgmzW0vH3LmCdY

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BugleChaser said:

Spent a few drunken stopovers there back in the day!

I wonder if they're still only serving beer in cans?

• Like 1

Judging by the acerage, the town appears to be on two patented mining claims.

Whomever owns those claims owns the ground permanent structures on the claims inhabit. 

Mobile homes maybe an exception so it's like an RV park, you can probably charge rent.

Many towns in AZ are on mining claims; Bisbee for example.

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Crazy the whole town is 40 acres. Do you become landlord to the occupied buildings at that point? I’ve never bought a town before so I don’t know how it works.

Better have good liability insurance.

• Like 2

I see it now, welcome to CWTVille

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

NatureBob's in luck, the bar is on the west side of the road so in your unit, maybe glassing from the porch with a cold one?

• Like 2