Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

.250/3000

any input y'all?  need to choose between a new kimber 84H in .257 rob or a ruger m77 tang safety ultra light .250sav in pristine condition.  money's the same.  being a quarter bore nut ain't easy.

lee

I have never had trouble finding reloading supplies for our .250 Savage even factory ammo. If your having a hard time finding stuff I may part with some brass.

Btw, I love the 250! It is an incredible little cartridge with little recoil. I had a rifle made about 10 years ago for my daughter who is very recoil shy and petite. She has taken 2 cow elk, a whitetail buck, and I shot a WT with it. Sorry, no experience with the Roberts but I have a 257 weatherby that has slayed many WT and I love it too so I understand your dilemma 😁

Jeff

Had a .250AI for years.  Paige shot her 1st deer when she was 10.  100 TSX @ 3100, 115 HVLD @ 3050 from a 23" 1:10".

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

100 TSX @ 3100, 115 HVLD @ 3050

thats impressive.  bumped up the pressure some?   is loading data held to a lower level because of the m99 and m1920?

3 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

RCBS .257 Roberts dies

thanks.  but a lifetime of collecting roberts dies leaves a full drawer-even a lee loader set!

6 hours ago, biglakejake said:

thats impressive.  bumped up the pressure some?   is loading data held to a lower level because of the m99 and m1920?

thanks.  but a lifetime of collecting roberts dies leaves a full drawer-even a lee loader set!

Mine was a .250AI.  

Those speeds were totally safe in my rifle and not max loads.

Published loads are supposed to be safe in ALL rifles.  Including the old ones.  Lever actions, pumps, etc.  Modern powders have really upped the possibilities for quality built modern bolt action rifles.

I've owned about 3 25-06's and 1 .257 Roberts. Don't know why, but I never warmed up to a .25 caliber.

They’re good for Varmint hunting.  We have the 25-06 and 257 Roberts.  There is a Gunsmith I know that likes the 250 3000 AI and he seems to do really well with them.  I’m talking one hole, 5 shot groups at 100 yards.  The 257 Roberts was the rifle I had all of my firsts with.   First Coyote, first running Coyote, first long range shots on whatever.  It was my dad’s Remington 722, which I still have.  It still performs.  We would always talk about that rifle as one that will never disappoint you.  It’s one that will hit what’s in front of it every time.  

• Like 2