knothead

Dear Arizona Game & Fish,

I wouldn't mind seeing a ban on Non-res OTC tags and a ban on non-res sheep tags. Never will happen because of funding but I would like to see all the 60-70 year old guys draw a sheep tag before a 12 year old does from out of state.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, ThomC said:

You have the perfect right to write to the G&F with your brilliant ideas.  The web site is AZGFD.COM.  Every year after the draw people who did not get drawn will come up with changes to improve THEIR chances to get drawn.  LOL😷

If you think this is me being disgruntled and I have a case of sour grapes then I did not do a well enough job explaining the meaning of this thread.  To the contrary, this is probably my most successful year ever in the draws.  Keep things the way they are and I will still do quite well but I still think there is always room for improvement.

• Like 1

For the love of hunting, I hope they figure this out soon! 1. Make the application process less redundant.  Why do we have to list our personal information every time we apply for a different species?  Other states have figured out how to do this why can't we?

It would be so nice to put all of the applicants and species applied for into one condensed application process without having to answer all of those questions, for each person, for each species.  

As for games cams, I would definitely not want a season on them. 

well on the point guard I guess I just dont have a cheating mind, I couldn't come up with a downside. I stand corrected. I guess since the bad folks can come up with these loop holes it keeps us good folks from benefitting from a good thing since someone will always find a way to turn it to a bad thing.

• Like 3

A couple things I would like to see changed or considered:

-Grandparents can not transfer tag to grandchildren.  I’m all for supporting kids hunting but see some kids in families getting great tags every year and multiple great tags every year. 
-I would like to see a year waiting period for bull Elk and Antelope tags. It would help improve draw odds a little at least. Still can buy a point that year in between. 
-Squaring our bonus points. Maybe it would give those that had 10+ points an actual better chance of drawing then someone with 4 points.  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, coueswt said:

A couple things I would like to see changed or considered:

-Grandparents can not transfer tag to grandchildren.  I’m all for supporting kids hunting but see some kids in families getting great tags every year and multiple great tags every year. 
-I would like to see a year waiting period for bull Elk and Antelope tags. It would help improve draw odds a little at least. Still can buy a point that year in between. 
-Squaring our bonus points. Maybe it would give those that had 10+ points an actual better chance of drawing then someone with 4 points.  

I think eliminating the grandparent thing would be fair.

I'm not a fan of the waiting period due to those who are drawing easy tags/cow tags just to go as often as possible. It hurts those people. 

I'm for the squaring bonus point system. Might be a good idea for sheep and antelope especially. 

Just curious but how many of you guys have applied with other people and benefited from them having more bonus points than you? Or them benefit from your bonus points?  Is that ethical? I agree wholeheartedly about the turning in of tags just to benefit someone. That isn't right. But if I have a family member/friend that is applying for the same hunt I am and has more points than I do I am going to ride them.  And I feel no guilt.

Leave the bonus point system alone.

Money up front for once in a lifetime hunts, also something where your ineligible to draw until you've bought a bonus pt for a few consecutive years. Nothing worse then someone first year applying for sheep because its only 13 dollars drawing a tag when you have other die hards who haven't missed a application there whole life who won't ever have more then a 1 % chance

3 hours ago, Bailer41 said:

There’s some abuse, not sure how often it actually happens.  In theory my wife with 14 points and me with 2 apply together for something like 12aw early.  We average to 8 and both draw.  She turns hers in and continues to build points for a strip hunt someday.  I hunt the kaibab with 2 points.  Under the current system she can do that for me once.  Under your system we do it every year forever.

And this is why I agree with a part of his #3.  If the one with the most points turns their tag in, everyone does.  Not fair that one's points go from 2 point to 8 and they get to hunt better units while the other saves their points if the margin is that wide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

well on the point guard I guess I just dont have a cheating mind, I couldn't come up with a downside. I stand corrected. I guess since the bad folks can come up with these loop holes it keeps us good folks from benefitting from a good thing since someone will always find a way to turn it to a bad thing.

Bingo

I am in total agreement with the grandparent tag transfer going away because you could be putting them in just for this purpose and they might not even care about going hunting but will surely give that tag up for the grandkid.

There are people in AZ who apply 10+ people a year and have for some time. Doesn’t take very long, especially with point guard, to get to a spot where you draw primo tags every single year by piggy backing. I personally hate point guard and it is abused by a LOT of people. People should be able to turn tags in for emergencies but their reasoning should be reviewed. 

• Like 8