knothead

Dear Arizona Game & Fish,

4 hours ago, elkaholic said:

50 000 annual deer tags. Approx. 

After the 3rd. yr wait 150,000 aren't applying annually. 

I think my odds got a lot better!

Maybe not that much. There are still numerous hunts where one point gives you a pretty good chance. Take a unit like the strip and pull a couple of hundred tags out of 4500 applicants and your odds may rise but not that much.

Point restrictions and waiting periods have been tried.

• Like 2

I’m against any bonus point bailouts like squaring or preference point conversion. 

If you have been applying unsuccessfully all your life it’s because you bet on applying for glory tags despite knowing your odds would be long. That bet didn’t turn out the way you wanted. Too bad, so sad. Cry me a river. 

I have a mixed opinion on tag transfers. On one hand I’ve seen transfer tags go to kids after the original tag holder fell ill or died and I’m favorable to that. On the other, I don’t like seeing little kids hunting bighorn or pronghorn when the original tag holder was their grandmother who never hunted a day in her life

• Like 4

5 hours ago, elkaholic said:

This would only apply if all permits were in one big draw instead of broken into units as they are. Thus the odds are greatly reduced and not much better than they are under the current system.  The best hunts will still attract the most apps and there likely will still be leftover permits when done.

Whats really shitty is questionable organizations where wealthy, or "in" people get amazing tags, including multiple sheep tags.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Put some of the youth hunts back in December like they were when I was a kid. And yes to 365 lion or at least August 15thish (whenever archery deer opens) til May 31st.

There's a reason the AGFD sort of capitulated on the lion regs. If it hadn't the animal rights folks would rally here to shut down the entire hunt as they did in CA. Seeing the handwriting on the wall after the fiasco in CO, AGFD took a similar action with the spring bear season by banning bait before the antis got involved to close the spring hunts altogether. 

23 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Whats really shitty is questionable organizations where wealthy, or "in" people get amazing tags, including multiple sheep tags.....

When and who?  I never heard of this before

36 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

There's a reason the AGFD sort of capitulated on the lion regs. If it hadn't the animal rights folks would rally here to shut down the entire hunt as they did in CA. Seeing the handwriting on the wall after the fiasco in CO, AGFD took a similar action with the spring bear season by banning bait before the antis got involved to close the spring hunts altogether. 

I understand that. I just know the hides on bobcats and lion are still in pretty good shape well into May in certain parts of the state. I think they cut it too short.

44 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Unsure what you mean by this.  Could you clarify with specifics?

I'd like a primitive muzzleloader season.  

Squaring points imo is the hunting equalivant to inflation. 

• Love 1
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, knothead said:

Unsure what you mean by this.  Could you clarify with specifics?

I think he is speaking on the perception of the situation.  It seems the 20 or so guys that are board members of most organizations get a lot of good tags. 

30 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I understand that. I just know the hides on bobcats and lion are still in pretty good shape well into May in certain parts of the state. I think they cut it too short.

It's been a long time since I had the conversation about this with my source at the dept.. So if we discussed it,  mushy brain doesn't recall why the specific dates were picked. I THINK, however it had to do with them giving birth to kittens as early as May.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Here ya go. 

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/species/biggame/mountainlion/

This is the pertinent part:

"Since 2006, mountain lion hunters are required to have their mountain lion physically inspected by the Arizona Game and Fish Department for  identification of age and sex of the animal and collection of important biological information. Wildlife managers use these data to closely monitor harvest and ensure a sustainable population. In 2007, the hunt season was shortened from yearlong to 9-months with a closure from June through August. In 2012, the hunt season was again extended to yearlong but, beginning in 2018, the season will once more be closed during the summer months when research shows that mountain lion births are at their peak."

8 hours ago, elkaholic said:

Nice try, 80-90% of AZ deer tags can be drawn every 3-5 years without having to wait.  The tags people really want have 5,000 to 6,000 people applying for what 75-90 tags per hunt.  Waiting 3 years between tags isn't going to improve your draw odds a dang bit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Trust me, the LAST thing I am, is jealous of your drunk, crazy asss.

4 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Trust me, the LAST thing I am, is jealous of your drunk, crazy asss.

Watch who and what you are calling them you worthless Pedophile Primadonna .Piece of garbage. You started the name calling not Me. I merely put up a post with my opinion. You don't know me and have no right to accusations. Go back to Church ......................BOB