knothead

Dear Arizona Game & Fish,

48 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

1. Muzzleloader should be more traditional. I personally would like it to be a no optic/magnification allowed. Hunt with black powder or black powder substitute only for propellant. 

2. Leave the BP system alone. Nothing is better. The old guys waiting 20 years for tags is a choice. They know the game, and chose to play it. Having a shot at drawing any tag at any time with the current system is what makes it fun. Nobody would play the lottery if only the people playing it the longest won. 

3. Fix point guard.

4. More officers and better enforcement.

5. Serial poachers should never be able to hunt again. 3 strikes and you are out. 

6. More in person hunters safety classes, and make hunters safety or some kind of conservation class a requirement to hunt big game. The class should include info about staying on open roads, firearm safety, common courtesy, ethics, etc.

7. I am sure there are more. 

I've never seen you talk about hunting with a muzzy, jist talking about your .257. Are you trying to change the rules for a class of weapon that you don't use?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LifeFeedsOnLife said:

In the commission meetings I've watched I rarely see hunters there advocating for anything. 

I agree and I am guilty of this myself.  I have never stood before the board and talked myself but I have written to them many times and submitted formal documents.  When I started this thread my intention was just to see what other people are thinking and what ideas they had.  I learn a lot from others and many things I never even considered until I heard someone bring it up.  It was also meant to be a barometer for support or lack of support for the ideas.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

1. Muzzleloader should be more traditional. I personally would like it to be a no optic/magnification allowed. Hunt with black powder or black powder substitute only for propellant. 

2. Leave the BP system alone. Nothing is better. The old guys waiting 20 years for tags is a choice. They know the game, and chose to play it. Having a shot at drawing any tag at any time with the current system is what makes it fun. Nobody would play the lottery if only the people playing it the longest won. 

3. Fix point guard.

4. More officers and better enforcement.

5. Serial poachers should never be able to hunt again. 3 strikes and you are out. 

6. More in person hunters safety classes, and make hunters safety or some kind of conservation class a requirement to hunt big game. The class should include info about staying on open roads, firearm safety, common courtesy, ethics, etc.

7. I am sure there are more. 

4 and 5 are spot on. And you're right about 7. . . There is more: archery only sheep tags! 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

That said, I feel the "decline" is more related to the increased demand, i.e. more people applying, especially non-residents.

Yes, a decline in opportunity for the current generation. That’s what concerns me.

6 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Yes, a decline in opportunity for the current generation. That’s what concerns me.

Kind of a case of "damned if you do or damned if you don't." AGFD creates more seasons and more permits, i.e. opportunities, and folks bitch that it's too many of both for nothing but the added revenue to buy more trucks. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, knothead said:

Not trying to be argumentative but why a separate season for primitive muzzy hunt?  You can hunt any style you want on our current muzzy hunts and our rifle hunts.  As it is right now the critters get almost no time to relax and live like normal animals from end of August to end of January.  There is practically a hunt of some sort going on every weekend in the fall.

No worries, different viewpoints and opinions are a good thing.  With modern hunting and long range shooting specifically, it changes the nature of the hunt and the pressure to the wildlife.  I think a traditional muzzleloader season and taking one step further a traditional archery season in place of some of the existing hunts would be a good thing. It would actually bring hunting back into the scope (no pun intended) and not just long range target practice that hunting is trending to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I've never seen you talk about hunting with a muzzy, jist talking about your .257. Are you trying to change the rules for a class of weapon that you don't use?

Yes I am. Just because I don't currently hunt it doesn't mean i can't have an opinion on. It also doesn't mean my opinion may or may not have validity or at least things worth discussing or considering. 

I don't murder people, but I can have an opinion on it correct? Or do only murderers get to have opinions on it because they are the ones directly involved? 

I also talk about hunting with my 6.5x55. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Yes I am. Just because I don't currently hunt it doesn't mean i can't have an opinion on. It also doesn't mean my opinion may or may not have validity or at least things worth discussing or considering. 

I don't murder people, but I can have an opinion on it correct? Or do only murderers get to have opinions on it because they are the ones directly involved? 

I also talk about hunting with my 6.5x55. :)

All valid points.

But, if you don't hunt like that, why try and change how other people hunt?

That seems very "Karen" like.

I am all for primitive muzzy. I compare it to bows and crossbows. Watching people shoot 500 yards with a muzzy is cool, but that's further than most rifle shooters shoot.

• Like 1

I’d be open to scopeless muzzleloaders, other states do it. It would hopefully take the pressure off those seasons but wouldn’t ban any guns that are legal today - just take off the scope.

If and when most/all archery deer seasons go to draw, I’d like to see to an OTC primitive archery season added back (no compounds or sights) 

• Like 1

Hel!, if we’re doing all this primitive stuff I want a spear season! Spears, fixed blade knives and Swords less than 18” allowed. Flint Knapp tips only allowed on spears. Only brass extendable telescopes approved for glassing and buckskin shoes allowed! No camo pattern or clothing material allowed unless it was used pre1890. And must walk or ride equine from your homestead to your hunting grounds. Oh, and leave the cell phone at the homestead!

26 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Primitive muzzy and archery hunts would be great.  

Honestly, that could be one season. A pivoting hammer, exposed primer and iron sites isn't that much more effective than a recurve.

32 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Hel!, if we’re doing all this primitive stuff I want a spear season! Spears, fixed blade knives and Swords less than 18” allowed. Flint Knapp tips only allowed on spears. Only brass extendable telescopes approved for glassing and buckskin shoes allowed! No camo pattern or clothing material allowed unless it was used pre1890. And must walk or ride equine from your homestead to your hunting grounds. Oh, and leave the cell phone at the homestead!

Ya still gotta have a mask though.

• Haha 1