knothead

Dear Arizona Game & Fish,

The following is everyone's top brainstormed ideas in my opinion  whom I believe would have a valid opportunity for changes?  Thinking..... What if the coueswhitetail group selected a top 10 that has realistic Commission power to vote on and approve. This list would need to be sent to the open public hearing notice and a group of individuals to attend the commission meeting to present the hunters perspective changes.

-More officers and better enforcement.  

-Serial poachers should never be able to hunt again. 3 strikes and you are out. 

-More in person hunters safety classes, and make hunters safety or some kind of conservation class a requirement to hunt big game. The class should include info about staying on open roads, firearm safety, common courtesy, ethics, etc.

-Leave the BP system alone. Nothing is better. The old guys waiting 20 years for tags is a choice. They know the game, and chose to play it. Having a shot at drawing any tag at any time with the current system is what makes it fun.

-Archery only sheep tags! 

-Make the application process less redundant.  Why do we have to list our personal information every time we apply for a different species?  Other states have figured out how to do this why can't we?

-When applying for hunts, given the option of listing a 2nd credit or debit card in case the first card is rejected.  

-The archery deer hunts that you must get drawn for should be placed with the elk/antelope draw.  This will allow the successful applicants have time to schedule time off work, scout, search for a guide etc.  

-up front for once in a lifetime hunts, also something where your ineligible to draw until you've bought a bonus pt for a few consecutive years. Nothing worse then someone first year applying for sheep because its only 13 dollars drawing a tag when you have other die hards who haven't missed a application there whole life who won't ever have more then a 1 % chance

-Stiffer penalties for game violations.  Not talking about the honest mistakes.  But the serial poachers or even 2nd time offenders need more than a slap on the wrist.  There should not be a third time.

-Separate bonus points for coues and mule deer.  (Like sheep, turkey)

For youth hunts, tags- My only suggestion for the once in lifetime Sheep and Buffalo as there are long list of lifetime hunters waiting on their opportunity. Make it for 18 and older- I think sometimes at such a young age- they do not fully appreciate what they have.  But saying that I know of a young man Parker who is the exception!

Mike

37 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Hel!, if we’re doing all this primitive stuff I want a spear season! Spears, fixed blade knives and Swords less than 18” allowed. Flint Knapp tips only allowed on spears. Only brass extendable telescopes approved for glassing and buckskin shoes allowed! No camo pattern or clothing material allowed unless it was used pre1890. And must walk or ride equine from your homestead to your hunting grounds. Oh, and leave the cell phone at the homestead!

Relax . . . no one is implementing this before your muzzy bull hunt.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bowhunter4life said:

Separate bonus points for coues and mule deer.  (Like sheep, turkey)

Mike

Cool 2 deer a year ;)

might want to rethink that!

22 minutes ago, Delw said:

Cool 2 deer a year ;)

might want to rethink that!

No-  you still can only harvest one deer species per year-  just like turkey or sheep or any other big game except javelina.

11 minutes ago, bowhunter4life said:

No-  you still can only harvest one deer species per year-  just like turkey or sheep or any other big game except javelina.

Yeah, that wasn't that hard of a concept to understand. 

13 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Yeah, that wasn't that hard of a concept to understand. 

Actually it is. think about it what happens when you get drawn for any anterled deer in some units have both (ie unit 1?) then you have archery which is any antlered deer. and the youth hunts are any antlered deer as well as muzzy hunts

34 minutes ago, bowhunter4life said:

I should have mentioned then point deal as the 2 deer was kinda being sarcastic. I knew what you meant. but the point deal and the application process would be f'd.

the sheep tags have either or depending on the hunt desert bighorn or rocky but the points you loose no matter what one you get drawn for. you dont get to keep them for one if you get drawn for the other.

the other one is there are hunts with both species in the any antlered deer Like explained above. and of course the archery season.

35 minutes ago, Delw said:

Actually it is. think about it what happens when you get drawn for any anterled deer in some units have both (ie unit 1?) then you have archery which is any antlered deer. and the youth hunts are any antlered deer as well as muzzy hunts

Yes that would be tricky.

But picking which species you get a bonus point (assuming you can purchase either/or, not both), isn't.

you tag a coues and you keep your coues points I mean whos going to know you dont need to fill out the survey. too faulty.

the only way to do this would be to put the archery season and any other season that has "any antlered deer? to be specific mule deer only or whitetail deer only. which in turn means all archery tags would need to be draw only.

13 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Hel!, if we’re doing all this primitive stuff I want a spear season! Spears, fixed blade knives and Swords less than 18” allowed. Flint Knapp tips only allowed on spears. Only brass extendable telescopes approved for glassing and buckskin shoes allowed! No camo pattern or clothing material allowed unless it was used pre1890. And must walk or ride equine from your homestead to your hunting grounds. Oh, and leave the cell phone at the homestead!

Well you can choose to do as many of these as you want if you want minus the weapon exception. It would cool to be able to hunt javelina with a spear. You can any hunt a lesser weapon of choice as some have mentioned already.

I also think more officers and stiffer penalties for poaching would help. I think the ratio land mass coverage per officer is probably too high to be effective.

And I think the bonus points system is more than like the best one out there right now. If you don't like how often you hunt don't put 13b as your first choice..... try a early coues hunt that has leftovers as your first choice, I'm sure you could draw it.  Sheep tags won't change and can't really or it would get worst.

As for weapons choice and or restrictions ..... Ask Tim Wells what he can hit with a recurve and no sights.... 

Great responses and opinions so far ..... that's my 2 cents. 

The clowns in careless dont want their kingdom muddied up by more Game Rangers that know more than they do.  They dont pay the ones they have properly.  They (the careless bunch) would have to get rid of a whole lot of chair shiners and know nothings.  😷  

1 hour ago, HyNoon said:

Well you can choose to do as many of these as you want if you want minus the weapon exception. It would cool to be able to hunt javelina with a spear. You can any hunt a lesser weapon of choice as some have mentioned already.

Not so. Every species and hunt type have the LEGAL weapons listed. Below is for javelina:

Legal Methods of Take General Hunt and Youth-Only Hunt: Any firearm, pre-charged pneumatic weapon, crossbow or bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304. HAM: Handguns, muzzleloading rifles, muzzleloading handguns, crossbow, or bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-318. Archery-Only Hunt: Bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304 and R12-4-318, and crossbow as prescribed in R12-4-216.