Bigley707

Az 6a archery

Hello All, 

Have early 6a archery bull tag this year. Been scouting rattlesnake quiet area and not having much luck. Planning on a 5 day scouting trip next week. I’m not very familiar with the unit. I am prepared to backpack into an area and hopefully avoid some of the crowds. The more remote the better. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and I will happy reciprocate with any of the units I am familiar with. Thank you all in advance. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bigley707 said:

Hello All, 

Have early 6a archery bull tag this year. Been scouting rattlesnake quiet area and not having much luck. Planning on a 5 day scouting trip next week. I’m not very familiar with the unit. I am prepared to backpack into an area and hopefully avoid some of the crowds. The more remote the better. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and I will happy reciprocate with any of the units I am familiar with. Thank you all in advance. 

That's a good area. If you can do some camping you will hear bulls. Find some water and look for tracks. The whole unit holds elk.

• Like 2

The quiet areas are the place to be!!!   Rattlesnake and Pine Grove, both.   If you have not found elk yet, keep at it.  You will! ;)  Try to get in there within a couple of weeks of the hunt.  More likely to be bugling!

Have fun!

S.

• Like 1

It is early, where the bulls are now is not likely where the will be in September. If I were scouting now, I would probably focus more on learning the unit (roads, water holes, etc.) than I would be trying to locate bulls.

• Like 8

Your in the right spot. It will get much much better come September. Everything will change after labor day weekend it always does.

I had a 6A archery tag once

Spent 4 weeks running cameras and checking water.

I learned more in 3 hours glassing from a high spot 3 days before season than I did in the 4 weeks of cameras and driving around.

• Like 1

Hunted the unit several times, be aware if you find a lot of bull’s right now, you better start looking for the cows. Because when the rut gets close they will be looking for the cows, some will come back to where you found them in the summer, but sometimes they come back towards the end of the season. Seen it happen many times. Like everyone will tell you, there are elk throughout the unit. Spend the summer driving roads, learning how to get around. Good unit for lots of action.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:32 AM, Bigley707 said:

Hello All, 

The quiet areas are great places to start but remember to be flexible. Lot's of guys and gals have the same idea. Rocky Park Rd is a good place to access rattlesnake snake from the north and will typically have less guys especially if it's wet. Second week tends to have a little less pressure and can be great. Here's a few bulls we've had opportunities at in 6a last couple years. PM me as hunt draws closer if your struggling.

IMG_20170930_151348_909.thumb.jpg.ddf65fba18446821d13622e5f10267ea.jpgIMG_20170930_151348_901.thumb.jpg.2caf9105db551af680a4822c2da9fce7.jpgIMG_20170930_151348_913.thumb.jpg.84af3fe2ebc13f70b28c9453e6abdb2c.jpgIMG_20190903_195940.thumb.jpg.9ba7c43ca7d6434639cf9e64ca2ade71.jpgIMG_20190903_195530.thumb.jpg.df0b1d0dbbd5aafa0c953fe2bfe6590e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

Rattle Snake is a great area. I used to live up there and hunted it. The elk are there you just are not seeing them. Like others have said, focus on learning the area and water sources. You are in the right spot.