loboscout

2020 Summer Cow

Heading up to the Kaibab in 5 days! Pretty stoked. I have 9 straight days blocked out and ready for the blind, books and movies too. More long weekends if needed later.

First hunt looking for penises to confirm sex on an animal...

Forecast has no rain in the 10 day, so hope that keeps them moving out of the park.

Not using Jacoby, but will coordinate some to keep hunting good for all. I Have a buddy helping who has been part of half a dozen or more bison hunts.  Hoping his luck rubs off, he shot his cow in 1.5 days in the blind.

PM me if you will be up there.

I intend to document and video my adventure, will share the good stuff. Here's to a buffalo on the ground.

• Like 7

OUTSTANDING!!!

I've got the Sept 25th rifle cow hunt this year.  Can't wait for it!  I'll be looking forward to hearing about your adventures!!!

Good luck!!!

S.

:)

• Like 1

ID is important.  Look close for the sheath and at the base of the horns. A bull's base will be thick like a soup can. When I got my cow the guy in the blind next to me shot a bull, which I also thought was a cow like he did.  Seems people shoot young bulls on every cow hunt. 

• Like 1

Good luck!  My hunt kicked my butt!  This is how it will go in a nutshell. 95% Boring 1% excitement, 4% pain

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whatever hunt is going on now, my son's friend just put the smackdown on a bison up there.🐃

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I have been watching videos and looking at pictures to get sex ID down before I pull the trigger. I don't know that I will even use horns or faces for ID, gonna be focused on whether that thing has a penis or not. I am not in a hurry to shoot, based on what I hear, if they come in to the blind, I will have time if I don't blow it.

95% boring might be overstating it from everything I hear. I am downloading a ton of books to read and listen to, movies, etc... 

On 7/25/2020 at 2:11 PM, DUG said:

Whatever hunt is going on now, my son's friend just put the smackdown on a bison up there.🐃

If the hunter would share any information, I am all ears. I can PM my phone number.

Go on the Wyoming G$F buffalo hunter page and it has some good info on ID. There's also a Canadian one that has a picture ID quiz. I failed miserably. I found these just by googling bison hunting. My son's friend booked with Russ. I'll see what info I can get from him. 

2 hours ago, DUG said:

Go on the Wyoming G$F buffalo hunter page and it has some good info on ID. There's also a Canadian one that has a picture ID quiz. I failed miserably. I found these just by googling bison hunting. My son's friend booked with Russ. I'll see what info I can get from him. 

That is exactly what I have been doing. I have been looking at those ID packets and info for lots of places. It is super helpful. Hopefully I can pick out an older cow so I don't have to discern the difference between yearlings and young. But, I have been looking at goat horns, ice cream cones, "C"s, round faces vs. triangular shaggy faces. 

Reading all the horror stories of killing the wrong sex is making me a little paranoid, hahaha. Lots of the ID guides and quiz really show that you gotta look at lots of features. Hopefully, when they are all together and in real life it will give context to everything I've learned.

If he is with Russ, no problem. I'll be stopping by the camp at least once and make sure to check in.

God smiled on me. More to come, but at first light second day, I took a cow on the Demott Park, half mile from the park entrance. 

Jacoby did awesome getting everyone in the coop out there to shoot. 

You can see two tiny dots over my shoulder in the selfie, two cows went down there, one is mine. She is a mature cow with her right horn rubbed down.

Such an awesome trip. Over so fast, but was epic!

20200801_064654.thumb.jpg.74d88f9cc0fc7df9091e4747638bba96.jpg

20200801_053716.thumb.jpg.1b0c1c7f1a84646823c3a241555fb7f6.jpg

• Like 14

Awesome for you!!   I hear it's rare to catch them right out in the open (out of the park) like that.  Good stuff!!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing of further success from those still there!!  ;) 

S.

Congratulations!!   Never complain that your hunt was over too quickly.   I logged 191 hours in a blind and never had an opportunity.  Still trying to draw again tho.

• Like 2