turkeyneck

Sheep Clinic

ADBSS is still working through that, we will make a final decision in early Sept.  I am not very optimistic we will be able to have it but we are holding out hope....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twigsnapper said:

ADBSS is still working through that, we will make a final decision in early Sept.  I am not very optimistic we will be able to have it but we are holding out hope....

These clinics are VERY valuable.  Suggest that if not in person, it could be done virtually...we have the technology!!

38 minutes ago, AZAmazing said:

These clinics are VERY valuable.  Suggest that if not in person, it could be done virtually...we have the technology!!

Absolutely...won’t be the same without wandering the mounts on display and talking to previous years’ hunters, but still very valuable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZAmazing said:

There is no doubt the technology is available, however not all of our guest speakers have access to quality audio/video to do a live broadcast and we are not sure we can deploy the resources fast enough to do pre-recorded presentations to have it ready by Oct.  with a 100% volunteer organization the logistics can be tricky.  We are working on options and will keep everyone posted.

4 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Went a couple years ago. I wouldn't go again.

I asked my dad if he’s going. He said i have to go for him. Is it like ducks unlimited? If it is I ain’t going 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Went a couple years ago. I wouldn't go again.

Elaborate please.

15 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I asked my dad if he’s going. He said i have to go for him. Is it like ducks unlimited? If it is I ain’t going 

I haven’t been to ducks unlimited so I can’t compare...I thought the presentations were very good. Having a lot of previous tag holders and AZGFD game managers in one place to talk to was very valuable too. Obviously that may be very different this year. 

2 hours ago, zackcarp said:

Elaborate please.

He went to the farmer pervert convention.  All about sheep handling that you were afraid to ask.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

I haven’t been to ducks unlimited so I can’t compare...I thought the presentations were very good. Having a lot of previous tag holders and AZGFD game managers in one place to talk to was very valuable too. Obviously that may be very different this year. 

Like RMEF? It’s like a banquet with raffles and stuff?

the sheep clinic will help you learn how to judge a ram so you dont shoot a dink, and hopefully end up with a class 4 and not a class 3 that would have grown into a great ram.  There were some snarky guides at the one I went to in 2008 who tried  to make you think you didnt  stand a chance without  their professional help.  One told me he knew where there was a huge ram in my unit, and then informed me " but I'm not gonna tell you where I saw it" when I told him I was DIY.  

On 7/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, trphyhntr said:

Like RMEF? It’s like a banquet with raffles and stuff?

I think there’s a banquet at night after it...the clinic is various presentations throughout with time in between to talk to everyone. I thought it was very useful info although I didn’t know jack about sheep hunting going into it. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:35 PM, trphyhntr said:

No it’s more about sheep than ducks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the sheep clinic is worth going to if possible. It is not a fundraiser like some of the other things you go to. They will probably ask you to become a member which unless something has changed means they will give you a plaque with your name, unit and score if you harvest. Their membership is not expensive and I believe it is a small price to pay for a group of people who have dedicated a whole bunch of their time trying to help put sheep on the mountains so you can harvest a once in a lifetime animal. At the clinic you will get information about hunting sheep from people who have done it for years. Game and Fish officers from your units will be there so you can talk to them. You will most likely get to meet the other tag holders if your unit has multiple tags and get a feeling for how your hunt might go as far as competition. Another reason to go is to see the mounts from the previous year that are brought in for the recognition dinner. They will all have the scores and unit posted with them as well. I try to go most years to look at the mounts. There usually is a recognition dinner for those who harvested the year before during which they get their plaque if they are a member. Good luck to you lucky tag holders, enjoy the ride! Hopefully you will get to put your hands on a magnificent animal that very few people will have the opportunity to hunt.

• Like 8