Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Vacuum sealer options

59 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I started wrapping mine in cellophane before putting it in a vacuum sealer probably 5 years ago and it seems to help. It also makes the sealing a process a little easier because it tends to hold some of the blood in and you don’t worry about it getting into the seal. Freezer bags always get little pinholes in them from clanking around on eachother in thr freezer and the cellophane is just another layer of protection when that happens. 

I always do this for short term freezing when stuff like chicken breast goes on sale. The cellophane makes a big difference but buy the good stuff as it comes off the roll easier and doesn't cling to itself as much when you are trying to work with it.

As a side note for those concerned with the high cost of FoodSaver bags, I’ve owned a couple for many years, and early-on that was a big concern of mine.    More recently though, there are plenty of ‘after market’ bag options available at a much more reasonable prices.  Found two rolls (8”x50’) in April for a pretty decent price.

Again, just a heads-up for FoodSaver owners.

S.

D90E9B17-915C-4272-A311-514F18C63E4B.png

• Like 1

After a few going thru a couple Foodsavers from Costco, I went with the "Big Game" heavier duty model (if that's even a thing). Seems to be holding up after 3 years and countless uses sealing up some elk cuts, quail, ducks, stripers, store bought chicken, t-bones, sous vide, etc. I ended up finding it on sale at Amazon for $125 and spent the extra $5 for a warranty. Zero issues so far and has a 12V if needed. For bags, I also been using knockoffs for years. No issues with those either. I can absolutely see the need for a commercial model, but so far, this seems to be working well.

image.png.3f486a3e00ed1232747fab12350df762.png

image.thumb.png.5be866567b1be629bd2379e0b1022c1d.png

• Like 1

This is a new company making processing equipment that is supposed to be top notch and reasonably priced. Their chamber sealer is tempting

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-QXVyMO0Kvaq9nx2I6IOLZUqDV5L7djWfFnL2qxRLstGnesxGbD69EaAo9rEALw_wcB

• Like 1

I have vacuum sealed several hundred pounds of fish and some coues last couple years with a poverty ziploc vacuum sealer. I’ve seen those chamber ones online, they look pretty sweet. 

If it's something bloody, messy or let's say chili, freeze it then vacuum seal.

• Like 2