Sign in to follow this  
Buckwheat893

Elk Sheds.. Where to start?

I am not new to shed hunting, and I like to think of myself as a very successful shed hunter when it comes to finding deer sheds in the desert. I’ve recently developed an interest in backpack hunting and I would like to do an overnight trip to look for elk sheds. That being said, I really don’t know where to start. I have been on a handful of elk hunts on Camp Navajo as a kid, but not nearly enough time in the elk woods to consider myself and experienced elk hunter.

I have narrowed my OnX map “scouting” down to a few areas such as northern unit 9, parts of 6a, southern unit 5/northern 5a and 23 north. I am located in Tucson, so driving all the way to any of these locations involves a certain level of commitment. I’m not looking for coordinates or even somewhat specific areas to find elk sheds - I certainly don’t want anyone’s honey hole. What are your opinions on the areas listed? Good places to look or waste of time? Any help is much appreciated! 

F67D8C62-0348-45C4-8DFE-9B872DE8D767.jpeg

• Like 1

pretty much any unit that has elk will have elk sheds ;) . personally I would stay on the south side of unit 9 in the junipers as well as in the junipers on the north side. Pines have them but junipers is where its at. unit 6a as well.

Lots of units closer than unit 9 to you.

• Like 1